bottle bomb time slot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinga

Reaction score
is there a certain time when the risk for bottle bombs is greatest? i bottled a batch and am now thinking that i may have a chance for some action. I first thought that during the first three days there is the most fermentation activity and after that i would be ok but then i know the gas has a weird schedule for bottle conditioning and carbonation. so can anyone tell me when i or if i can start to sleep easy knowing there will be no explosions?

may have added a bit too much priming sugar and it is a hef so i was carbonating at high levels to begin with.

The longer it ferments - the more gas is in the bottle. Are you saying that you've reached the peak after 3 days and no more gas will be produced - and if you've made it past that then you're OK?
If so - I'm not sure that logic is correct.

The longer it ferments - the more gas is in the bottle. Are you saying that you've reached the peak after 3 days and no more gas will be produced - and if you've made it past that then you're OK?
If so - I'm not sure that logic is correct.

well thats not totally correct. the method of adding a determined amount of sugar to your fermented beer is so that the yeast will eat up the finite amount of sugar available and make a predictable amount of carbonation. the yeast will consume that sugar in a matter of time. my question is that if i make it past that time am i safe. i know that the fermentation process in a bottle is different than in a carboy thus my question. and i know yeast have their own schedule i am just wondering in general.

OK - I'm just trying to figure out where the 3 days comes from.
You make a good point though - 'the yeast have their own schedule' - the conditions of the yeast after the initial fermentation is what's important here.
- anyway - after writing this - i do remember hearing someone who bottle conditioned for 3 weeks and the bottle exploded when he tried to open the bottle - so I'm not sure that their is a 'safe' time (I know - it's anecdotal evidence at best).

well its probably not three days but what i was thinking is that maybe after the initial rigorous fermentation takes place that it wouldnt be producing as much CO2. three days is kinda just a guess of the duration of the first rigorous fermentation.

i guess what i am looking for is a schedule of what happens during bottle conditioning.

my first ( and only) bottle-bomb, 2 bottles went off a few seconds apart. i'd guess 1 set the other off, and that was about 1.5-2 months after bottling.

When I first started out, I had a batch that I bottled way too early. I used the time method (1 wk primary 1 wk secondary) instead of checking the gravity. About 2 weeks after bottling I had a couple blow at the edge where the bottle starts to skinny up. Then around 6 weeks, a low pressure system rolled through and I had 10-12 go. The next day I was emptying them out with safety glasses. ;o) Not sure if it was only bottling too early or an infection set in. I only know I learned a lesson on that batch.

If it's just a bit too much priming sugar and not a dumb mistake like bottling before it's done fermenting, then you shouldn't (key word :p) have a bottle bomb problem. You'll just have geysers when you open them.

I remember a user posting a video here about what happens in the bottle over the 3week period. At the end of the first week there was considerable carbonation, but the beer itself was still flat (Massive head, no bubbles in the beer). There was carbonation, but it wasn't 'dissolved'/suspsended in the solution. I'd imagine that would exert more pressure on the bottle than when it's absorbed into the beer. But that probably isn't true and I certainly have no proof to back that up. Got the idea when thinking about why half-full bottles explode.

Have you tried Palmer's book - or brew strong? I'd bet there's a decent brew strong pod cast dedicated just to bottle conditioning.

Back