The Travelling Coke Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Igorstien

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I will be going on a golf trip in June, and while I realize that the trip is still aways off, I have a question that has popped into my head.

In about 1-2 weeks I will be putting my next batch into a coke keg. My thought is to have a batch ready to take on the golf trip with me. We are not going that far. It's really only a 4 hours drive, but we're away from the wives for three days and eight of us are going.

Anyway, back to the keg. I want to have a batch ready to take with me and I would just like to take the keg. After I have it refridgerated, CO2ed and let sit for a week or so to carbonate.......Can I unhook the CO2, put the keg ON ITS SIDE in a cooler with ice and transport it and then with those little CO2 cartridged, push my beer out when I get there. I realize the pushing part is not the problem, but I'm more worried about the keg laying in the cooler. I know I could just cool it when I get there, but I'll be into it right away and don't want to have to wait for it to cool.

I can't think of any problem with transporting this!!!

OH, I did read the thread before about the exploding ball lock so I will be extra careful with that. Make sure I wear my bomb-squad suit.

IGOR

Get your priorities straight!

Throw out your golf clubs, put a trash bag in the golf bag, stand the corny in it, fill with ice, take it where ever you go! Call it a Linkerator!

Didn't Rodney have a bag like that in Caddy Shack?

If you had to drive as much as I do on the course, the beer will be so shaken up all you'd get is foam. Some people are scratch golfers....I'm a hack golfer.

No problems transporting it (I've done it). I'd even take the CO2 tank if you have a 5lb'er like me. I've never tried those little CO2 cartridges, but I suppose they must work if they're still selling them.

Are you talking about taking the keg golfing? That'd be cool, but I know on our local courses you're not allowed to bring your own beer..have to buy it on the premises. Can't imagine what they'd say if I showed up with a keg!

I travel with kegs frequently. I just stand it in a fermentation bucket and ice it. If you lay it down, you'll have to give it more time to settle.

Watch out with those little CO2 gadgets. They can over-pressurize a full corny in seconds and the relief valve will pop. Doesn't hurt anything, but it's a real rush.

If you take your regular CO2 bottle with you, shut the valve, take the regulator off and lay the bottle down out of the sun. If the 3000 PSI safety blows on a five pound bottle, everybody will need new shorts. Given what the average golfer wears, that might not be a bad thing.:eek:

Latest posts

Back