WLP 500 pitch amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorFitz

Reaction score
Hi all!
I put together a nice german style recipe and decided to pick up some fresh yeast from a local brewery, thanks again to the guys at Iron Hill brewery in Montgomeryville PA. They hooked me up with about 10 oz of fresh WLP 500 Chimay strain yeast. They were using it to ferment a batch of their Triple. I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch today and was wondering how much of this I should pitch. The triple was a week old when I got the yeast on Friday. Recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

TrevorFitz said:
Hi all!
I put together a nice german style recipe and decided to pick up some fresh yeast from a local brewery, thanks again to the guys at Iron Hill brewery in Montgomeryville PA. They hooked me up with about 10 oz of fresh WLP 500 Chimay strain yeast. They were using it to ferment a batch of their Triple. I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch today and was wondering how much of this I should pitch. The triple was a week old when I got the yeast on Friday. Recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

I'd run your numbers through mrmalty.com. Love that yeast calculator!

Good call, almost forgot about Jamil's beautiful tool. It calculated that I should use ~3.5 fl. oz. Does that sound about right?

TrevorFitz said:
Hi all!
Thanks in advance.

How did you receive the yeast ( is it in a flask or a vial?) and are you certain you have 10 oz?
If they top-cropped it the cell count will be lower that if the got it from the bottom of a conical.

How did you receive the yeast ( is it in a flask or a vial?) and are you certain you have 10 oz?
I got it off the bottom of a conical about 1 week through the fermentation of their Belgian Style Triple. I put it in a sanitized 12 oz bottle I had laying around and it filled up to what I estimated to be about 10 oz. The slurry is pretty dense and there is maybe about 1/4 - 1/2 an oz of clear beer-ish liquid on the top.

Back