california (San Fran) lager yeast vs kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I am looking into doing some malty lager type beers (oktoberfests, marzens, etc) and have a fermentation chamber I can easily get down to upper 50s low 60s. I dont think i want to deal with the longer lagering times of a true lager and was wondering what the big difference between a kolsch, notty and the cali (san fran) lagger. Which would get me closer to a true marzen, oktoberfest?

Kölsch yeast is an ale yeast that you ferment cool, California Lager yeast is lager yeast that is meant to be fermented warmer that your average lager yeast...so they even out and you end up fermenting the two around the same temp. I think that Cali lager will get you closer, because Kölsch yeast will likely get you something a little fruitier than you want for the märzen style. I think a "steam" adaptation of an oktoberfest could be great, too! I'd go for the California lager yeast.

I think an ALT type yeast will get you closer than all of those. Try WY1007 or WLP036. It can ferment in the upper 50's and is a nice slow chugger. Will really leave the malt and a clean lager like flavor after a couple weeks of cold conditioning. It's an ale yeast as well, just make sure to pitch the correct amount.

I think an ALT type yeast will get you closer than all of those. Try WY1007 or WLP036. It can ferment in the upper 50's and is a nice slow chugger. Will really leave the malt and a clean lager like flavor after a couple weeks of cold conditioning. It's an ale yeast as well, just make sure to pitch the correct amount.
+1, I have made 2 batches with WY1007 & really like it's clean profile.

I also use 1007! I recommend that yeast over Cali Lager for your purposes

I used the SF lager yeast to do my Oktoberfest last year and it turned out great, was ready to drink in about 6 weeks. Fermented at 58* for five or six days, then slowly ramped it up to 62* to let it finish out and clean up after itself. Let it "lager" at ~60-65* for a couple weeks then bottled.

Back