Pliny the Elder extract kit help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be adding the five day dry hop this weekend. Vinnie's recipe calls for an additional .25oz of each of the three varieties of hops for a total of .75oz. I had to do a partial boil which, as I understand it, will result in lower hop utilization. I have a full oz. of each of the three hops, so I was wondering if it would be beneficial (read: help compensate for the lower hop utilization in the boil) to add more hops than called for.

Thoughts?

Dry hops add to aroma not bitterness

JoeBronco said:
Dry hops add to aroma not bitterness

Yeah I realize that it won't add to the IBUs, but I thought added aroma could increase the perceived bitterness. I'll probably just stick to the recipe but I was just curious as I have the extra hops.

Well JoeBronco, you were right. I decided to take a sample of my beer to see how the dry hopping was coming along and was blown away by how great it was. The smell is gone and the flavor is excellent. 6/17 I keg this baby up and wait for the best part!

Is dry hopping two weeks giving me that much more hop aroma then dry hopping for one week? I'm ready to drink this devil but I want it at its best

That extra week doesn't add to much. It does add some... but to be honest, i normally know im going to be to impatient and add those hops in the mash water and circulate through my mash for about a half hour. Same process Green flash uses on Palette wrecker.

Sounds like you got a tasty brew on your hands. I'm sure out will be great. Ill be curious to how close out comes to the commercial beer. Do keep us posted.

Well, since I've never had the commercially beer I won't be able to be too helpful. I'm trying to trade some east coast beers for some west coast beers but am having a little trouble. Hopefully someone is a yuengling/troegs fan and will trade!

Keep your eyes on "Lets Pour". Even though they are not supposed to they sell Pliny at store prices. If you buy 6 you dont have to pay shipping. But They only get in limited amounts and sell out VERY quickly. i was sketchy about this site at first but i know a few people that buy from them (My home brew shop) on a regular basis and i guess its legit. I have never used them.

It was mentioned a page or so back, but don't you have to modify the hop amounts if you decide to do a full 5 1/2 gallon boil versus a 2 1/2 or 3 gallon boil? I will be brewing this one next and can't wait!

Yes. The original recipe calls for 8 gallons of water with a final product of 5 gallons. What size batch are you doing?

legasus233 said:
It was mentioned a page or so back, but don't you have to modify the hop amounts if you decide to do a full 5 1/2 gallon boil versus a 2 1/2 or 3 gallon boil? I will be brewing this one next and can't wait!

As I understand it, the answer is yes. With less water there is less hops utilization. However, I brewed this with the same amount of hops as the 8 gallon boil called for and I did a 3 gallon boil and topped off. This is only my third batch, but I knew this would result in a different beer, but I was okay with that. It tastes pretty good to me in my samples, maybe a tad sweet, but the hops bitterness is there. I'm bottling tomorrow, so I will post my results in a few weeks.

I want to do an extract batch, 5.5 gallon boil and come as close to the real thing as possible. How can I best achieve this?

Just so you all know, my beer turned out great! Had a few hop head friends taste test and they loved it. Also brought it to my homebrew club meeting and it was a hit. These aren't people trying to make me feel good, they'll tell you straight up how it is. None of that matters though, cause I love it. Thanks for all the help to those who posted!

brewingmadness said:
Just so you all know, my beer turned out great! Had a few hop head friends taste test and they loved it. Also brought it to my homebrew club meeting and it was a hit. These aren't people trying to make me feel good, they'll tell you straight up how it is. None of that matters though, cause I love it. Thanks for all the help to those who posted!

Mine came out great too! Had one last week while vacationing with my in laws and it was still not quite there. I'm drinking one now, a week later, and it's damned fine (I bottled June 12)! I'd also definitely echo brewingmadness's sentiments: a big thanks to all that helped with this. I was definitely a bit nervous tackling this as my third batch.i can definitely tighten things up a bit, but overall it was a great success!

I just grabbed two bottles of Pliny dated July 11. A blind taste test reveals I actually prefer mine, which substituted Citra for Simcoe. My wife had to disguise them for me as mine is clearly cloudier, but she also prefers mine. She, of course, knew which was which, however. I'll definitely brew this one again. I'm considering trying Amarillo instead of Citra just to experiment. Any thoughts on that?

Back