Documenting Your Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiphops

Reaction score
I've recently become obsessed with documenting the yeasts that I have harvested. What I've been doing (putting notes on making tape on the jar of harvested yeast) isn't really working anymore. I'm starting to get into too many notes and just too much confusion.

I've been thinking about using some type of family tree type program.

What do people use, if anything, to keep on top of their yeasts?

I just have a Google doc spreadsheet with the frozen strains I have harvested. I use the headings as follows: Strain, generation, date frozen, age of yeast at time of freezing, # of tubes, volume of tubes, and notes.

+1 for spreadsheet. Keep jar labeling simple (A, B, C, D, etc) and have all the detail in a spreadsheet.

I've been keeping good notes on a spreadsheet also, but this has caused me to realize the fact that I have too many variables in brewing. While I love experimenting, I feel I need to pick 3 house yeasts (maybe 4, if WLP 550 doesn't make a good wheat beer I am looking for.) 1 ale yeast, 1 belgium yeast and 1 lager yeast to make 90% of my brews. That's my goal for 2012/13 to find those 3.

I have a spreadsheet also but I have a coding system that I use for labels. I use to use masking tape but I've switched to labels from a label machine. I use the WLP code, generation and date. So, for example, I have 029.G2.122511 which tells me at a glance that it's a kolsch yeast (WLP029), 2nd generation (G2) and frozen on Christmas day 2011 (122511). If I need more info on that, they I can look up my excel spreadsheet.

Speaking of house yeasts, WLP029 (kolsch) and WLP005 (british) are becoming my de facto house yeasts. I used to use WLP001 a lot, but I'm liking WLP029 with pale ales and IPAs.

I use a MS Word document that has a table in it with basic info like yeast type, generation, age, etc. Nothing fancy really but it works.

Back