Mason Jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickeldeposit

Reaction score
So what’s the “real” history of why people drink from mason jars? I’ve always wondered and had some theories but really don’t know for sure. I guess its good Wednesday discussion to make you think.

My best guess, not knowing the real history of it would be:

During the Great Depression, glassware was scarce, as were the funds to buy them. But many people canned fruits and vegetables in an effort to be frugal. So, mason jars were probably much more common than drinking glasses....

I couldn't tell you specifically. When I was growing up, we had a bunch of mason jars and glass jelly jars as drinking glasses. What ended up happening is that they got washed and inevitably ended up in the cupboard. I like mason jars because they easily hold anything I want to drink (beer, juice, milk, water, cocktails). They are also sturdier than a shaker glass.

I think it was the Prohibition where mason jars really came into their own. They were used to transport moonshine and I would assume they just kept that role once the Prohibition was lifted. I love transporting beer in them and just drinking out of em. I wouldnt really know seeing as I didnt live through the Prohibition but its a decent guess.

Also, mason jars and canning goods was really the only method of long-term food storage before widespread refrigeration. So, before refrigeration was available or wide-spread, everyone used mason jars for canning food which led to their inevitable use for other stuff... like storing and smuggling booze. At that point I suppose there was really no point in using any other container since mason jars are convenient for both storage and drinking straight up.

I've had the privilage (misfortune?) of drinking moonshine straight from the mason jar and... wow, it tastes like pure booze and smells like a barn. Another time I tried it but mixed in with it were apples and spices. That was almost too tasty...

Tradition. As Effington states, before WW2, almost everyone did their own canning (although why jarring stuff is called canning is obscure), so everyone had jars handy. Moonshiners used them because they were cheap and available. Also, when you are working out in the fields, barn or pasture, having a beverage container with a secure lid is important. Canning jars were the about only thing available.

Back