Apple Juice Spontaneously Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
A few weeks back my mother left about a 1/2 gallon of 100% juice on the counter and as of today it is fermenting. I'm not sure how it happened, I guess my mom left the lid loose on the bottle and some natural yeast and bacteria hoped in for the ride. I noticed this was happening because when I served myself a glass, it tasted bubbly and funny. After that I didn't pay much attention to it and just left it in the fridge, but then my mother told me it tasted funny also and I took a closer look at it. At the bottom of the bottle I saw a small layer of sediment. I found this interesting since I do love homebrewing, even though I really haven't done much lately, but anyhow I decided to let it ferment and see what happened. I really haven't been counting how long it's been fermenting, I just taste it now and then. I gave it a taste today, and wooow, it taste awesome. I thought it would go bad or something since it was invaded by wild yeast, but no, it tastes really good and I plan to let ferment it more. Has this happened to anyone else? I can't wait to give it a taste in couple of weeks. This has inspired me to give a try at EdWort's Apfelwein :rockin: Just waiting on the dextrose and yeast to arrive :D

A non sealed container would not contain
ANY carbonation.

Sediment could exist without yeast.

If you are right, :mug:.

A non sealed container would not contain
ANY carbonation.

Sediment could exist without yeast.

If you are right, .

True, but I had sealed the container and placed it in the fridge before tasting it. It just tasted a bit bubbly, not exactly carbonated. Sorry I left that part out. However, I do now leave the container sealed and when I see it is bloated I let the gas out, so now when I serve myself a bit it is carbonated. Kinda tastes like a commercial cider I had in Christmas, just not as strong.

Back