Can I Mix oxi clean and pbw?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowmax10

Reaction score
I've got a carboy that didn't come clean with a PBW soaking - any problem dumping in some oxi clean??

Why not just pour out the PBW and let the oxyclean soak?..... Haven't met anything yet that oxyclean can't erase... Not sure what chems are in the two, so .... you never know...

Just make sure you dont mix oxy-clean with any chlorine based cleaner (bleach). I did this a while back, you water will turn white, then create a nice creapy fog that rolls off the top of it, pretty sure its not good for you!

I would pour half of the water out of the carboy and replace it with hot water the remaining PBW should finish the job.

BTW You can mix them just be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove any soda ash residue from the Oxy Clean.

Just make sure you dont mix oxy-clean with any chlorine based cleaner (bleach). I did this a while back, you water will turn white, then create a nice creapy fog that rolls off the top of it, pretty sure its not good for you!

Yeah... that's chlorine. It's pretty damn toxic (there's a reason it was used as a chemical warfare agent in WWI).

I wouldnt think it would matter if you mixed them, they are so similar in composition. Sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate.

I use cold water and Oxi... and it strips everyhting. I had issues with PBW getting everything too. I have really soft water, dont know if that matters?

I was cleaning my carboy today and its the first time I have used oxyclean. I said to use 1 scoop per gallon. Is this what everyone uses? Seems like a lot of oxyclean. let me know if i used way too much and how much rinsing I will need to do.

I was cleaning my carboy today and its the first time I have used oxyclean. I said to use 1 scoop per gallon. Is this what everyone uses? Seems like a lot of oxyclean. let me know if i used way too much and how much rinsing I will need to do.

I use 1 scoop to 6 gallons to clean carboys, kettles etc.

Back