MLT Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what I have done for the two MLT's I've done is go to Lowes/Home Depot and purchased the 5ft dishwasher hose that is stainless steel braided encased. I figured out how much length I needed, wrapped the target zone in electric tape, and cut it with a whiz wheel or sawz all. Then clean off the ends of the tubing by opening up the ends and push, don't pull (chinese finger locks) the normal tubing out and keep the stainless braid. Put the stainless braid over a stub that comes out of the end of your shut off valve

Basement Brewing: Cheap Mash & Lauter Tun for only $55 or Less

Either should work equally well, but if you fly sparge, it's much easier to gauge the flow rate using the regular generic tubing (cos you can see the wort flowing so much more easily).

-a.

I just drain the MLT straight off a bench into my boil pot, sitting right on a burner below. Should I be using tubing?

I use the generic tubing and it works fine. It does get a little soft due to the temp and easily bends which can stop the flow. As long as you keep an eye on that, it works fine for me. One benefit is you can see the wort flowing better which is good when you vorlauf.

I also used the generic tube 3 batches without any ill effects but yeah, it does get very soft. I picked up 4' of the high-temp stuff yesterday but the inability to see the clarity does suck but I think I'll use it anyway.

Sorry I misunderstood what you were asking for I have the clear vinyl on mine and like one of the other folks said it kinks when draining. The one I just built, for a friend, used clear vinyl reinforced tubing from lowes and it worked like a champ!

Yeah I just use clear thick walled (Sorry I don't know the sizes) tubing I picked up at the LHBS. I like using tubing because I feel like it creates a nice syphon which helps grab as much liquid as possible.

I just drain the MLT straight off a bench into my boil pot, sitting right on a burner below. Should I be using tubing?

Of course you don't HAVE to use tubing on the outflow of your MT. HSA aside, a length of tubing on the outflow will help to pull the wort out of the tun like a syphon. This will be of value if you mash wheat or oats and help to avoid a slow or stuck sparge.:mug:

I use reinforced PVC tubing, which is only rated at like 150 or something, but I have yet to taste or notice anything solventy in my reebs.

I use Silicon high temp for the kettle drain. If I needed to replace the PVC tubing, I'd use the silicon high temp. Everything I've bought can be had at the online home brew stores.

I use translucent high-temp silicon tubing. $2.10/foot. Vinyl tubing should be just fine but you can't get much better than this.

phpThumb.php

Thanks for the responses everyone. They help a lot. I think I'll be placing an order with Northern Brewer in the near future, so I'll probably go with the high temp tubing that was suggested earlier.

Can anyone confirm that the 3/8" ID tubing from Northern Brewer (NORTHERN BREWER: Siphoning Equipment #7103) will fit the 3/8" barb adapter described in the thread from my OP (3/8” male barb adapter, Watts A-294)?

I haven't bought anything yet, and I may want to place the order for the tubing before I actually get the barb adapter.

Thanks for the responses everyone. They help a lot. I think I'll be placing an order with Northern Brewer in the near future, so I'll probably go with the high temp tubing that was suggested earlier.

Can anyone confirm that the 3/8" ID tubing from Northern Brewer (NORTHERN BREWER: Siphoning Equipment #7103) will fit the 3/8" barb adapter described in the thread from my OP (3/8” male barb adapter, Watts A-294)?

I haven't bought anything yet, and I may want to place the order for the tubing before I actually get the barb adapter.

It fits - those are the parts I used to build my 5 gallon MLT.

Back