Frigidaire Model FRC445GB Mini-Fridge Kegerator Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to pick up this fridge, but was curious if it would be possible to fit a Corny keg and a 1/6 barrel in here? From what I can read, a 1/6 barrel is only about a 1/2" taller and 1/4" wide than a Corny. Anyone know if I could fit both in?

Thanks!

im pretty sure a 1/6 will fit (think there are pics here somewhere)...its the sankey coupler that might give you problems

hey everyone just thought i would mention that this model frigidaire is on sale at Lowes right now through the first week of August for 20% off; it's around $140. i think i'll pick one up this weekend

Thanks for the heads up. I went down to Lowes yesterday and picked one up for $144 +tx. Ordered a dual tower with Perlick 525ss faucets for $150 through kegconnection tonight. Now I just need to figure out if I'm going to settle for the front position for my tower or spend the extra time and effort to put it in the middle where I really want it.:confused:

offtopic but.....i noticed my old college fridge, the freezer can screw out also. so can you just unscrew any compact fridge freezer section, and still use it normally as a fridge? no worrys about it freezing everything inside it?

offtopic but.....i noticed my old college fridge, the freezer can screw out also. so can you just unscrew any compact fridge freezer section, and still use it normally as a fridge? no worrys about it freezing everything inside it?

yes..just adjust your temperature accordingly. the only reason a mini fridge "freezer" gets colder is the surface area of the coils/area to cool

yes..just adjust your temperature accordingly. the only reason a mini fridge "freezer" gets colder is the surface area of the coils/area to cool

Most mini-fridges have cooling lines running through the freezer shelf so the shelf can not be removed, this frigidaire model is one of the few I've seen where the freezer shelf is just a shelf.

I'm about to pick up this fridge, but was curious if it would be possible to fit a Corny keg and a 1/6 barrel in here? From what I can read, a 1/6 barrel is only about a 1/2" taller and 1/4" wide than a Corny. Anyone know if I could fit both in?

Thanks!

im pretty sure a 1/6 will fit (think there are pics here somewhere)...its the sankey coupler that might give you problems

I know it will fit a 1/6 with the tap no problem. As for a 1/6 and a corny Im not sure but have my fingers crossed. I measured a little wrong the first time and originally hoped to get 2 1/6s in but they are too wide.

I know it will fit a 1/6 with the tap no problem. As for a 1/6 and a corny Im not sure but have my fingers crossed. I measured a little wrong the first time and originally hoped to get 2 1/6s in but they are too wide.

Be sure to let me know when you find out! Thanks!

Hey all, I've been lurking on this forum for a while now, gathering info for my eventual bar (possibly brewing) project. This is the first time posting.

I fould an amazing deal on this exact fridge in the scratch n dent section of my local lowes. Two fridges for 150 bucks! My plan was to use one as a bottle/can/mixer fridge and the other as a kegerator.

My question is: Is it possible to be able to fit a tall quarter barrel in this thing? I was throwing around the idea of maybe building a collar for the front door, similar to what the guys here do for keezers. If I went this route, theoretically I could even fit a 1/2 barrel if I wanted.

Just wanted to get some people opinion on fitting commercial size kegs in this beauty of a fridge... thanks in advance!

Decided today that I was going to bite the bullet and pickup a mini-fridge, as craigslist was not working out. Found this thread and looked up the model on Lowes.com. Saw that the sale was ending today and the Lowes was closing in a couple hours. Went down and picked one up, saving about $36 bucks. SWEET! I'll post pics when I get'er converted and set up. Thanks everyone for the all the pics and inspiration.

I drilled in the same spot in the rear of the fridge to run the C02 line and it appears I hit a coolant line, got a nice blast of something during the drilling. I guess I get to go back to Lowe's and get another fridge :(

Completed my conversion a couple of days ago.I mounted a tower in the middle of the top. If you are going to do a top mount I recommend you remove the top starting at the back. There's a couple of tabs and slots in the front that make it difficult to peel the top off without bending the top. It's harder to get it started in the back but once you get it started, it just peels right off.

I had to use a Johnson temp controller on mine. Even with the fridge temp controller just on the edge of "OFF" a half full corney of water gets down to about 36F.

Overall, a pretty easy conversion for my first kegerator. Now I just need to get another temp controller so I can start fermenting in the old full-sized fridge I was previously using for storing my kegged beer and picnic taps. :mug: Funny how one project always leads to another.:D

Finally got a chance to snap a photo of the finished product.

P1030126a.jpg
:rockin:

Heres the one I just finished a week or so ago. I went a little overboard and fiber glassed a steel plate to the bottom of the plastic top so I would never have to worry about it cracking. Just need to pick up a drip mat now

DSCF5627.jpg

DSCF5628.jpg

Just saw your located in spokane trub, and the cougs mug:rockin:

Lowes, Got the employee discount on that too from the wife to be :D

iirc the rails are 16'' and around 6-7 bucks each. Work great though

This fridge is a great find -- many thanks to noremorse1 and everyone that has contributed to this thread. I had planned on setting up a chest freezer in the basement, but when my wife saw this unit, she suggested we keep it in the kitchen. :mug:

Now, I’m considering options for mounting the taps -- Trub quaffer, GC89, I like the way you’ve mounted the tower near the middle of the top. Would either of you be willing to measure the location you ended up selecting for the center of the tower (like the way Bumbler posted the front-mount location for his tower)? I’m wondering if I can avoid removing the whole top if I use your location.

Thanks,

Dr. C.

I would really advise against that, you need to take it off and get a good look at the coils. They are only about 1.5" apart, so there a pretty good chanck of hitting one. My hole between them is oblong not round just to fit the fitting on my lines through it.

The great top makes this thing like a Holy Grail ... sure beats the plain vanilla white top of my chest freezer (which is NEVER populated the way it should be ...ie 5 kegs !)

I am inspired by this great thread.

I would really advise against that, you need to take it off and get a good look at the coils. They are only about 1.5" apart, so there a pretty good chanck of hitting one. My hole between them is oblong not round just to fit the fitting on my lines through it.

+1 on everything GC89 said. I used a 1" hole saw and had very little spare room between the saw blade and the coolant lines. I also made more of an elipse shaped hole to make enough room for my lines. I will pretty much guarantee that if you try to cut a hole in the top without seeing those coolant lines, you will end up with a $150 oversized paper weight. ;)

I'm looking for a good DIY kegerator/keezer to build and came across this. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this'll do 2x 5g and 1x 3g at the same time?

I'm looking for a good DIY kegerator/keezer to build and came across this. Can anyone confirm (or deny) this'll do 2x 5g and 1x 3g at the same time?

I can neither confirm or deny. I will say that I have this fridge and 2 - 5 Gal. is a tight squeeze only after the temp control is moved. I have no idea where a 3 Gal. would go.

Yeah 2 5 gal corny's fit just barley and a 5lb co2 tank.
A 3 gal wouldnt fit with out building a door extension.

Just picked one up off Craigslist for $125.

How long does it take to cool down? Is the compressor THIS silent? Nice.

Now I just need to find a conversion kit!

Looks like you get what you pay for, compressor is hot to the touch and the fridge is room temp after 3 hours.

i would say that my compressor is relatively quiet. It should start cooling quickly. maybe yours is busted or something.

Holy crap! I just registered for this site today and I would like to thank a lot of you for all the GREAT information on this forum!! I just completed my conversion of the Fridgidaire mini fridge last night and COULD NOT have done it nearly as smooth without all the great tips here! I will post a pic of the fridge within the next few days, but basically I have the fridge in a small room where my sump pump resides and I ran the beer line up to the tap behind the wall. I then have the drip tray draining back into the sump pump. Once again, thanks for all the tips!!
ry%3D480

Not sure if you all can access these photos or not, hopefully so. This is my take on the frigidaire conversion. Definitely had some help from this thread before getting started, and hopefully this will help out someone else!

Here's the finished product:
ahymq2

Here's the whole project album:
http://s875.photobucket.com/albums/ab314/ahymq2/

If photo bucket didn't work and you have facebook give that a shot:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?a...s=#/album.php?aid=2041041&id=121202703&ref=nf

That's a great looking setup! You don't happen to have the dimensions for the cabinet build do you?

Has anyone actually fit 2 kegs in this mini fridge? Could we see pictures?

I bought this fridge about a week ago, my 2 5gal. kegs came today and I started removing the shelves, light, etc. but am not sure what to do about the temperature controller and excess wires.

Here are some pictures of what I am having trouble with:
IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

Yes, just as long as they are not pin lock kegs. It is tight but they fit. I will add a pic later. From what I hear you can also get a 3gal in the back. I just got some from midwest cheap for another project that will be hear tomorrow. If so, I will be adding another tap. As far as the light and stat go. Just pull out a little slack and push it to the back. Just be careful not to kink it.

I bought this fridge about a week ago, my 2 5gal. kegs came today and I started removing the shelves, light, etc. but am not sure what to do about the temperature controller and excess wires.

Here are some pictures of what I am having trouble with:
IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

dude...have you even looked through this thread? It's all about many of us converting it to hold two cornies and a 5#co2 tank. I also have pics in this thread showing it can hold them.

All you have to do is carefully move that temp controller out of the way. c'mon man...doesn't take much effort to look at the pics in this thread and it's actually very fun.

Not sure if you all can access these photos or not, hopefully so. This is my take on the frigidaire conversion. Definitely had some help from this thread before getting started, and hopefully this will help out someone else!

ahymq2

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?a...s=#/album.php?aid=2041041&id=121202703&ref=nf

That is a thing of beauty. If you have any sort of dimensions that would be ultimately appreciated. Very jealous!

Yes! 2 kegs fit.
2_kegs.JPG

There are no extra wires. The manufactures sent the correct amount.

Some people shift it back and some remove it completely.
I did the later. Added an external T-stat.

old_t-stat.JPG

old_t-stat_out.JPG

new_t-stat.JPG

ahymq2

thats really cool. I like the idea.

how did you attach the caps? thin-set and grout?

Back