What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a few of my latest APA, on to this DC brew, so much better than my week!
Wes, glad the kids damage is minimal,they heal quick.

IMG_2635.jpg

Disappointed in not winning in a BBQ sauce contest today...stuff that was too sweet won. Stuff that was like tomato paste got second and stuff that was too salty got third. Not enough of my peeps came out and the "celebrity" judges totally effed it up. I decided to drown my depression with a bottle of my Costa Kona Mocha Latte Stout. It was just bottled on 3/28...it had plenty of carb, but it hadn't settled in yet. Definitely needs to develop. I'm also fighting Spring allergies that are messing up my sense of smell and taste, so it's hard to really evaluate...I should have known better. But I think it's going to be really good...eventually. I'll try one more in a month and then stick the rest in storage for awhile. I have something better to follow this with.

DSC04523.jpg

Gotta keep the good beer streak up today.

Ohhhhhhhh deeeeleeshus!

Disappointed in not winning in a BBQ sauce contest today...stuff that was too sweet won. Stuff that was like tomato paste got second and stuff that was too salty got third. Not enough of my peeps came out and the "celebrity" judges totally effed it up. I decided to drown my depression with a bottle of my Costa Kona Mocha Latte Stout. It was just bottled on 3/28...it had plenty of carb, but it hadn't settled in yet. Definitely needs to develop. I'm also fighting Spring allergies that are messing up my sense of smell and taste, so it's hard to really evaluate...I should have known better. But I think it's going to be really good...eventually. I'll try one more in a month and then stick the rest in storage for awhile. I have something better to follow this with.

Did you do a Carolina style mustard based sauce?

Sculpin, I swear I would take this out of the bottle( partic a bomber) rather than a can. Just a.. sayin? It still might be the best ipa I had tonight. Kinda a toss up between the mikkeller better half but I would say sculpin is more session like.

Tomorrow's line-up will be incredible. :D

Can't wait.

Did you do a Carolina style mustard based sauce?

Mustard is a SOUTH Carolina thing. I'm in NORTH Carolina. For us, it changes from East to West. I'm near Raleigh and we are a couple hours west from the coast. "Down East" is mostly apple cider vinegar and crushed red pepper (or red pepper flakes). The farther west you go, the more tomato (usually in the form of ketchup) is added and it gets a little sweeter.

I add a little honey. Others add molasses or brown sugar. I use just enough ketchup to barely change the body of the sauce a little (maybe 1/3 cup) and a tablespoon of honey to two cups of apple cider vinegar and crushed red to taste...maybe a half a tablespoon. Shake in a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use. It's best after at least 24 hours.) In the western part of the state, it's much thicker and sweeter. Down east, the BBQ itself is usually made from a whole hog with meat from all over mixed together. Western style is usually only butts (pork shoulder).

I offered my sauce authentic to the area, but we have a LOT of transplants. (I didn't play to the audience, I guess.) In the town of Cary, we say it stands for "Containment Area [for] Relocated Yankees".

And I'm going to call it a night with this:

DSC04524.jpg

Here's what my BBQ sauce looks like when properly prepared. I wasn't allowed to prepare the sauce for competition myself...health department thing...and the restaurant people used a weaker brand of cider vinegar and they were a little light on the ketchup.

DSC04474.jpg

Here's what my BBQ sauce looks like when properly prepared. I wasn't allowed to prepare the sauce for competition myself...health department thing...and the restaurant people used a weaker brand of cider vinegar and they were a little light on the ketchup.

That is odd you can make it yourself for a competition. It's not for the masses. You should be able to make it at home. Can't be commercial until you have the proper license.

Need something sour. While watching the worst movie ever. Sharknado.

1397361611667.jpg

Growler of Cellarmaker crazy eyes kiwi IPA. IPA with kiwi and blood oranges. Damn tasty. Not much kiwi, but tons of orange and simcoey goodness.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397362756.202854.jpg

That is odd you can make it yourself for a competition. It's not for the masses. You should be able to make it at home. Can't be commercial until you have the proper license.

Need something sour. While watching the worst movie ever. Sharknado.

The competition was in conjunction with the grand opening of a City Barbecue restaurant and the sauces were being sampled and voted on by the public and some judges. They couldn't risk someone using poor sanitation practices and causing a bunch of people to get food poisoning. We probably would have been able to make the sauces ourselves if it was just the judges doing the tasting.
Finished my Troegs Cultivator...*yawn*

Just finished a Rebel Ipa. Don't usually like Sam Adams beers, but I did enjoy this one.
1397367115742.jpg

Now I'm having a Stone Go To Ipa
1397367140256.jpg

Both are fantastic Ipas

Had 2 pitchers of Palmetto pale ale while getting whooped at pool by my brother literally single handed, and got home to try my first Gose out of the proper glass. Food time, then bed.

1397369136005.jpg

Good thing I have a growler of it as well as some cans for today. :D

Coff.

Water. Had way too many last night. It's too easy when everything is free and people who think they know you are sending you shots :(

6 shots of espresso, over ice, with a touch of mint.

Do not like working Sundays.

Coffee before going to the grocery store. Then back out to do more work outside. Not a bad thing since it's going up to 80 today!

This weekend has been awesome. 87* here yesterday and its already 75 today. Probably do another 13 mile ride on the river trails again today :D

You mountain bike fins?

O yeah! I just got into it last summer so im still not great like a few buddies of mine, but I hold my own. The river trails we have are pretty nice actually and I hear Lawrence has some good ones too. The actual mountain bikes trails in NM are amazing though, it whooped my ass going up.

O yeah! I just got into it last summer so im still not great like a few buddies of mine, but I hold my own. The river trails we have are pretty nice actually and I hear Lawrence has some good ones too. The actual mountain bikes trails in NM are amazing though, it whooped my ass going up.

Nice! Ya they do! I have not been out there yet. But me and a few buddies bike the river trails around here. We actually have some really good ones. Nothing too crazy tho. I just like trying to spot the morels this time of year

Nice! Ya they do! I have not been out there yet. But me and a few buddies bike the river trails around here. We actually have some really good ones. Nothing too crazy tho. I just like trying to spot the morels this time of year

Are morels out already?! We tend to fine more dicking than we do biking, but I will have to keep my eyes peeled. I love morels but not a fan of most mushrooms haha

Latest posts

Back