So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am right now. I typically do 10 gallon batches using the batch sparge method with a big cooler or lately with a Sabco Brew Magic rims system. Today I am doing my first BIAB. I had an extra paint strainer laying around and someone got a 1 gallon beer kit they didn't want and gave it to me. I decided the fermentor would come in handy and figured I could whip up a quick 1.2 gallon test batch on my stove. Wow a lot easier and less stress and cleaning than my typical 10 gallon batches.

Brewing up a BB dry stout kit I was gifted. I was going to do my ESB MKII, but a killer deal on 2 tap kegarator popped up on a buy/sell/trade page on fb so there goes my brewing cash for a few weeks.

Just gotta bottle my porter to free up the fv.

My last black ipa was... not great. You got a recipe? El Dorado and Azacca have been on my hop list for awhile but I have yet to use em, sounds like a good excuse

I don't care for black patent. But sinamar looks promising. Just brew a favorite IPA and add that to required darkness.

Wow a lot easier and less stress and cleaning than my typical 10 gallon batches.

Yep. For my redneck, all manual 9'ish gallon eBiaB system clean up is the next morning and about 10 minutes. Might take longer if it was not adjacent my laundry sink.

Just wrapped up my weekend brew day. Did a Simcoe/Citra/Amarillo IPA with some new strategies on the grain bill and water chemistry. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Got an early start and knocked out two Pales in plenty of time to make Easter dinner...

ab_27mar2016.jpg

Cheers!

I didn't brew on the weekend technically, but i bottled a milk stout on Sunday and brewed my first AG batch of 2016 Monday (yesterday). Welcome to the world Darth Razyr's Imperial Sith Stout! Hope you grow up to be delicious!!

Thats what I've cooked this weekend...

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.22 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.72 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 6.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 46.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
11 lbs                Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM)             Grain         1        85.4 %        
2.0 oz                Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)               Grain         2        1.0 %         
0.50 oz               Northern Brewer [9.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop           3        16.2 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Goldings, East Kent [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop           4        15.6 IBUs     
1.00 oz               Saaz [5.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min            Hop           5        14.5 IBUs     
1 lbs                 Turbinado [Boil for 10 min](10.0 SRM)    Sugar         6        7.8 %         
12.0 oz               Corn Sugar (Dextrose) [Boil for 10 min]( Sugar         7        5.8 %         
1.00 oz               Saaz [5.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min             Hop           8        0.0 IBUs      
1.0 pkg               Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) [35.49 Yeast         9        -

Spring break saison today! Modified system and had too much thermal loss during mash. Turned into a long protein rest...lets see if it makes beer!

I will be brewing an English ESB this Sunday

5gal

10lb 2 row (Only need about 7-8lb, but I don't know the next time I'll get to brew and my grain has already been milled so, I figured what the heck)
4.5lb of crystal 50-55l

Mashing at around 151 for 60, maybe 90, just depending on how I'm feeling

60 minute boil
1oz of Rakau for 60
.5oz of Fuggles for 30
.5oz of Fuggles for 5

Sf04 yeast

We shall see

Tac

Today we are having severe weather across our region. Supposed to get crappy later today, not that it can get much worse. Perfect sleeping day to be honest.

This morning at 6 I fired up the burner. Doing a triple brew day. 10 gallons of Kolsch, 6 of a Bavarian Hef and 6 of a Farmhouse Saison. So far the brew day has been without too much problems. Just deal with the occasional gust of rain that blows in. Nothing stirring today. Chickens are quiet, cows are doing their thing and I'm chilling out to some 80's classic rock while following the brew schedule.

All is good so far. Happy brewing everyone!

i-9f7CVvr-M.jpg

i-4VSjbG5-M.jpg

i-vWRPtsd-M.jpg

Because ya gotta surf HBT and eat Nutter butters to fight boredom and feed the body on brew day.
i-6VQ8wSL-M.jpg

Perfect sleeping day

i-CbrzmVL-M.jpg

Ya'll have a great day!

Just pitched my (yeast?) some wild microbs I harvested from the yard. No idea what's in there.

My grist is mainly Pilsner, a few lb of oats and 13 0z of dark crystal.

I have no idea what I was thinking, but looking at my scale I thought, '13 oz, that's half a pound, that should be nice'

Ooops. Turns out it's nearly pound, and my beer is so much darker than expected.

Hope it's good though. We'll see in 8-12 months lol

Planning some type of wheat beer for the weekend. My boss has been interested in brewing with me so he is coming over on Saturday for a brew day. I have some 2 row and white wheat as well as a few different specialty grains, tons of different varieties of hops, and a fridge full of yeast. Going to give him the choice on what goes in the brew (with my advice and suggestions).

Today we are having severe weather across our region. Supposed to get crappy later today, not that it can get much worse. Perfect sleeping day to be honest.

This morning at 6 I fired up the burner. Doing a triple brew day. 10 gallons of Kolsch, 6 of a Bavarian Hef and 6 of a Farmhouse Saison. So far the brew day has been without too much problems. Just deal with the occasional gust of rain that blows in. Nothing stirring today. Chickens are quiet, cows are doing their thing and I'm chilling out to some 80's classic rock while following the brew schedule.

All is good so far. Happy brewing everyone!

i-9f7CVvr-M.jpg

i-4VSjbG5-M.jpg

i-vWRPtsd-M.jpg

Because ya gotta surf HBT and eat Nutter butters to fight boredom and feed the body on brew day.
i-6VQ8wSL-M.jpg

Perfect sleeping day

i-CbrzmVL-M.jpg

Ya'll have a great day!

Nice setup man!

Edit: Decided to start the Hanahpu clone process from the thread on HBT. Doing a sweet stout tomorrow with Wyeast 1968 for the Hana yeast cake.

Hope to brew my first lager on Saturday (Pils) and if lucky an APA I've been playing around with on Sunday.

I spent most of the week cleaning, organizing, making a step starter...ready to crush some grain and light a flame now!

I am hoping to brew my "sweet stout" dark mild/black ale, whatever on Saturday. It is an oddly beloved beer at the track that defies category.

If I do not have to help my elderly neighbors skunk-proof their fence...it will happen.

What software is that? It looks pretty awesome

Beersmith 2. I've resisted upgrading from the original since it's done my so well for the last 8 years. However, it's been starting to mess up and even loosing a couple recipes. Ironically, when I downloaded the free trail version of BS2, they miraculously arrived back in my recipe folder. Guess I'll pony up to buy the full version this afternoon.

It's been over 5 months since I've brewed and my kegerator is almost empty. :( Doing my Blond Ale recipe using the Cascade hops from my first year plants from 2015!

Did the wonderful Cottage House Saison again this morning. Gotta love spring in Wisconsin. All last week, mid 40s-low 50s. Next week projected to be 40s/50s. Today? Windy, low 30s, windy, snow, windy, more snow, did I mention windy? Ugh.

Have some time off, so I'm gonna do a Centennial/Nugget IPA mid-week. When it's back in the 50s.

Brewing 12 gallons of a hoppy red ale tomorrow. Upping my batch sizes to make for time for yard work - wamp, wamp.

Sweet Stout brewed, it'll be a yeast cake for the Hanahapu clone, but efficiency came out at 78%ish. Planed for my usual 65%. Only thing different was I used pickling lime in the mash for alkalinity. Will have to do several batches to see if the water chemistry makes that much of a difference. Never had that high efficiency number.

Back