BJCP bottle fill level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's the accepted bottle fill level for BJCP? More than once, I got comments regarding bottle fill, but they didn't specifically say what the level should be. I usually fill so that the final level is between 1/4 and 1/2 way up the neck.

If it doesn't play into the points, it really should be removed. I feel that it can mistakenly influence a judge's overall impression even it if has no effect on the sensory.

An inch or so is fine. You don't get points taken away for it being less or more, though- it's just mentioned in the scoresheet.

Ideally yes, points should never be deducted for high or low fill. In practice however, that's not always the case. As there is no judging oversight, judges are essentially able to assign scores and give or take points as they see fit.

I've had several scoresheets over the last few years that mention "high fill" and deduct a point.

Michael
BJCP National

I lost points for a "low fill" with an IIPA that placed 2nd....1st beat me by 1 pt! Both samples where 1/4 inch up in the neck which I thought was fine ....man I was upset!

Back