Just finished 1st all-grain THANK YOU HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

step

Reaction score
As the title states, I just finished my first all grain brew(s). I am limited in my boil volume by my small apartment electric stove so I just went with gal batches.

Started at 8:45 am this morning with BBD's Biscuit Brown and then moved on to Walker's Holy Grail Porter and finished cleaning up about 10 mins ago 3:45 pm. So 7 hours for two AG brews I felt good.

I snagged a 5 gal water cooler/dispenser thing from my folks place over the holidays and built myself a MLT yesterday. Thing works great! Used info from Deathbrewers guide as well as How To Brew.

With all that I have read on here and having brewed ~20 extract partial mash batches I felt that the process was pretty easy. I didn't get great efficiency but mainly attribute that to my LHBS super crappy grain mill. I ran one grain bill through their mill twice (read that on here somewhere) and got better efficiency out of that one than the other.

The reason I wanted to post this was emphasize to budding brewers that all-grain is nothing to be intimidated by if you understand the process. After brewing many extract based batches I felt I understood the basics of what is required and the processes that produce these things we need to make beer.

The other point I want to make is that small space or limited equipment can be overcome.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox now and just say Thank Youto the folks here at HBT. You are very knowledgeable folks and are willing to share that without being arrogant and that is very unique in the world wide web of forums.

:mug:

Congrats! I did my first AG yesterday and it was much less intimidating that I originally thought. Piece of cake.

Jason

Ditto. I completed my first All Grain today and it went very well. I missed my OG a bit but I think its ok. I learned volumes by reading this forum, thanks to all.

I'm still in the research and keggle building phase, but I hope to join the all grain club someday soon. Congrats to you!

Did my first mead today. That was super easy...almost too easy...

Back