driving down attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mediumsk

Reaction score
im planning on brewing a traditional saison this week which is highly attenuated (1.004 - 1.008). i plan on mashing at about 145F for max fermentability, and pitching a huge starter. none the less i want to take precautions to hit my FG.
ive heard of adding beano to help break down the higher more dextrinous sugars. ( is it better to add to the mash? or boil) also, taste ramifications???
i would rather just finish the fermentation with a super clean highly attenuative yeast, but im not sure which one to go with. anyone have any experience with this, or tips?
thanks.

oh and my primary fermentation is going to be with white labs saison yeast ( allegedly the same strain(s) from Brassiere Dupont.

Have you ever listened to The Jamil Show? He just did a show on Saison and spent a lot of time talking about what can be done to get the beer to attenuate fully. I don't remeber everything but temperature control of the fermentation is key (letting it rise from 68 to 80+ over the course of a week). Chris White was also on and added his opinion. Worth a listen IMO.

no i haven't head that. haha im really anti ipod because i like the idea of listening to whole albums. but this whole brewing pod cast thing is making me want to get one.
anyways ive heard that the dupont yeast (suposedly where white labs culture comes from) should be fermented between 85 and 90 F ( crazy i know) however their reading material says to use a more attenuative yeast when your primary gets down to 75% attenuated.

Dude, I'm doing a saison on Sunday. I got my starter going tonight. I'm using the seasonal Saison II yeast WLP566. I'll build it up a little tommorow before pitching the day after.

I'm gonna start it off in my brew room which is at 68, then move to my living room after a day or two which is around 75, then after a day or so I will set on my porch at night which is around 78-82.

What's your recipe? I haven't nailed mine down yet.

pretty simple for my first run

grist is
13.4 lbs pils malt 90%
.6lbs malted wheat 5%
.4 lbs candi sugar 5%

i havent figured the IBU's out yet but it will probably be around 25IBUs from kent goldings and finished with a styrian saaz blend.

im holding off on spices and seeing what fermenting at really high temps will get me as far as spicy/fruitiness goes. this recipe is very similar to duponts, i figure start familiar and see where it goes from there.

have you read " Farmhouse Ales" by Phil Markowski ?
its great. its basically a study on saisons and biere de garde's
it gives lots of good info on procedure and traditional/contemporary grist formulas. it is my inspiration for brewing a saison

i still have to special order my saison yeast ( oh the joys of {one of} my LHBS being 3 blocks away) so the brew wont be done for a wee bit, but let me know your grist as well as how it turns out. we can compare some notes.

I have not read that, but I need to pick it up for sure. Sounds like my kind of book. Mine will not have wheat or candi in it. I'm planning on munich, maybe a touch of caramunich, but the same hops for sure: kent and styrian.

sounds good. the emphasis is definitely on maltiness. are you planning on any spice additions? ive had a few saisonish things from Fantome that are brewed with spices and are really really good, but it seems like most i try are just overboard with spices.
anyways yeah i highly reccomend that book, it got me appreciating and brewing 2 very cool styles. im really intrigued by how whimsical/artisinal, saison and biere de garde are. its very refreshing coming from the staunch english brewing tradition.:mug:

I have sweet orange peel, coriander and black peppercorn on hand. I'm thinking the orange peel for sure and maybe a tiny, tiny hint of coriander. I just used the coriander recently in a rochefort clone and it's a bit overwhelming right now. I just racked it to secondary and I'm sure it will mellow out, so I'll probably stick with the same amount. .25 oz crushed.

I had a saison at a brewpub (brauhaus) in Kaiserslautern, Germany. That's the only saison I've had and it was awesome, so hopefully I can live up to my expectations.

Latest posts

Back