Water Rookie...Profile Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave1096

Reaction score
So, I'm a complete stranger to building a water profile. I don't own a PH meter, and when I try to read through posts regarding the topic I get somewhat confused by all the chemistry and technical terms being thrown around. I have my water report from the utility company (not Ward), and I would like to know what I can do to make it a good IPA profile other than campden tablets for the chloramine. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.aquaamerica.com/WaterQualityReports/2012/PA/PA1460073.pdf

Most of that report is worthless for brewing. You need to know how much Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Sulfate (SO4), Chlorides (Cl) and Alkalinity (as CaCO3)... as well as a few others. Do you have that info?

Most of that report is worthless for brewing. You need to know how much Calcium (Ca), Magnesium (Mg), Sulfate (SO4), Chlorides (Cl) and Alkalinity (as CaCO3)... as well as a few others. Do you have that info?

I don't have that info, and I'm guessing Ward Labs is how I get it?

Ward labs would be the most complete way to go. I'd also try calling or emailing the city water dept... they should be able to provide you with some of those values. I quickly looked at the Philly water dept's website... they say you have roughy around 100 -150 ppm hardness in your water (hard water). That's good... it means you have plenty of Ca and Mg already in your water. Of course, it's a guess as to how much exactly.

"Our water quality data is readily available to our customers, as we publish a Water Quality Report every year. This report, available by calling the Water Department at
215-685-6300, could answer many of your questions."

Try calling them, tell them you are a homebrewer looking for specific ion values...

"Our water quality data is readily available to our customers, as we publish a Water Quality Report every year. This report, available by calling the Water Department at
215-685-6300, could answer many of your questions."

Try calling them, tell them you are a homebrewer looking for specific ion values...

Thanks for your help. I've always heard that Philly has some of the best water to brew with, but I live in the burbs about a mile outside of the city limits. Not sure if I have the same water source, but I'll look into it.

Hey man, I am in Abington. We you ever able to get a water profile from Aqua?

Back