Oldest Slurry Ever Pitched?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
O.k. I'll be honest I'm kind of lazy when it comes to harvesting yeast.. Not much trub makes it into my primary so I sanitize up a mason jar and pour in the sludge off the bottom of the previous batch usually between 4 and 8 ounces of it. Close up the mason jar label it and toss it in the fridge. I try to use it within a month and it always takes off in about 3 or 4 hours when I dump it in. Now I'm pondering using some that I left in there a couple of months... I'm thinking somewhere between 2 and 3 months and I'm wondering if that is wise? My gut tells me it will probably be fine and will work like a charm but I wonder if anyone can ease my wondering mind. How old is the oldest saved yeast slurry you've ever pitched?

It should be fine. As long as you have kept it closed up. I used some that had started to dry out. It looked funky, but it worked fine. It was at the 5 month mark.

Just because of the previous posters

2969.gif

O.k. I'll be honest I'm kind of lazy when it comes to harvesting yeast.. Not much trub makes it into my primary so I sanitize up a mason jar and pour in the sludge off the bottom of the previous batch usually between 4 and 8 ounces of it. Close up the mason jar label it and toss it in the fridge. I try to use it within a month and it always takes off in about 3 or 4 hours when I dump it in. Now I'm pondering using some that I left in there a couple of months... I'm thinking somewhere between 2 and 3 months and I'm wondering if that is wise? My gut tells me it will probably be fine and will work like a charm but I wonder if anyone can ease my wondering mind. How old is the oldest saved yeast slurry you've ever pitched?

About 6 months was the longest I've done with trub slurry. It worked well. I haven't tried longer.

Back