A few newbie questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJR

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I know these questions may seem basic and I know that at least one of them will probably make you roll your eyes and scream at the computer and for that I apologise.

1) I have a stout brewing. It's soon going to be coming to the end of it's life in the fermenter and ready to be bottled or kegged. My question is what is better for a stout? Bottle or keg?

2) Since I'm 21 with my SWMBO, I'm trying to get her into brewing. She likes shots so I got an apple alcoshots kit. Has anybody here used an alcoshots kit and how did it turn out?

3) Has anybody used a Prohibition Liqueur kit and if so, how did it turn out? I currently have an Orange Liqueur going.

1. I would think whatever you prefer is what is better. For me, I was thinking I would bottle a stout rather than keg it, since my kegerator only holds 2 kegs and I can't see driking lots and lots of stout every night - nor would my friends. For me, it is the kind of beer you have here and there.
2. I haven't. Though my wife does not like beer, she has helped me the odd time while working on a batch. She sips her wine and I sip my brew. Works fine!
3. Ditto.

B

PS Enjoy the hobby!

Dont know about 2&3, but I don't think it matters whether you use a keg or bottle. Do what you like. The only caveat is that when bottling, high gravity beers take a long time to carb up (if you are priming)

1. Why not keg it, get it to the carbonation level you want, then bottle it from the keg for aging. Or just leave it in the keg and drink it. I find with stouts, I like to control the carbonation level. Too high carbonation tends to make them a little too bitter and biting.

Thank you everybody. This is all really helpful. :)

How much carbonation would everybody suggest for a stout? I'm looking for a smooth, silky/creamy textured finish.

Back