do hops affect hydrometer reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
As the title says..will hop particles (a lot of them) affect a hydrometer reading? Mine is reading way lower than expected (reading 1.054, should be near 1.070)

Thanks

well maybe if they are stuck to the side and prevent the hydrometer from moving to its proper postion.
Why is your reading so full of hops!?

They aren't preventing it from moving, but they are floating around everywhere.

Brewed what was suppose to be a ruination clone, but with a gravity reading of 1.056, that's quite a bit off. I can't imagine my efficiency was THAT bad. I filtered most of the hops out, but the fine particles get past my screen.

+1 on David's reply. They won't make a difference. Ensure you're taking a reading at 60 degrees. Heat will drop the gravity.

+2 on David's reply. Assuming this was an extract batch, and you added some top-off water, the most likely cause of an apparent low gravity is that you didn't mix the top-off water with the wort thoroughly enough. This is nothing to worry about as the yeasts will do the mixing for you. If you were using extract, then your real OG will be very close to what it should be. If you say what the recipe was, and what volume you made, we can check what the OG should have been.

-a.

Back