Are you using a Speidel fermentation tank? NEW PRODUCT from Nor Cal Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jay. I like your design but prefer a smaller valve. If you put a 3/8" half cuppler on the outside of the TC instead of the 1/2" nipple then I could get/attach one of these valves (Their dip tube not needed) and bam, Bobs you're uncle!

Try something like this:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shop.bhombtubes.com%2Fimages%2FMini%2520ball%2520valve%2520MF.PNG.png&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shop.bhombtubes.com%2F1-4-Mini-Ball-Valve-Fitting-T316-Stainless-Steel-14MBVMxF.htm&docid=9fJI39wBPBVcOM&tbnid=ITVcd-i5gCEU2M%3A&w=268&h=268&bih=916&biw=1829&ved=0ahUKEwjpj5Tn3dDNAhUKySYKHSLaD94QMwiiASgbMBs&iact=mrc&uact=8

I have two of them and they work great...this is what I plan to attach to mine.

Mine showed up today. Very well made. Impressed with the value. It is going to get its maiden run this weekend. Nice job @Jaybird.

Thanks man. Keep me posted how you like it after you get to use it.

I'm interested.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Speidel-Fermenter-Dip-Tube-NPT-Male.html

They are on the site now. I have been a few days behind because we ended up selling out of the parts I had made but we are up and running so, jump in man!

Cheers
Jay

Got mine yesterday! Very well done and I can't wait to get it installed. Good job, guys!

Got mine yesterday! Very well done and I can't wait to get it installed. Good job, guys!

Thank you for the feed back!

I have had a few questions on how to remove the plastic spigot to get the plastic ring free. Its easy, just pull them apart. They have a very small O'Ring the keeps it from leaking and it can kind of be a bugger to get free. I will do a video at some point. But if you just PULL and TWIST they come apart.

Thanks for all the orders you guys!

Cheers
Jay

A little blow off and thermowell action!

Fits AMAZING! ONLY issue..It will not work in the small 20 L one just yet....

Cheers
Jay

Speidel6.jpg

Very cool. Love what you've been creating lately!

Thanks buddy! It's amazing what a guy can do when you have a KILLER support staff. My team at the store and in the fab shop is so amazing right now! I am absolutely THRILLED! They are the ones that make it all possible!

Cheers
Jay

A little blow off and thermowell action!

Fits AMAZING! ONLY issue..It will not work in the small 20 L one just yet....

Cheers
Jay

So any chance you can add a thermowell to the spigot version? That would be the cat's meow!! Offset the spigot and add a thermowell...should work for all sizes of Speidel?:mug:

So any chance you can add a thermowell to the spigot version? That would be the cat's meow!! Offset the spigot and add a thermowell...should work for all sizes of Speidel?:mug:

I'm working on it Stone. It's looking plausible but we will know absolutely on Tuesday. We had SO much to do these last few days the fit just didn't happen. It's on the plate for Tuesday for fit and finish.

Cheers
Jay

Here it is installed....

Cheers
Jay

How high does the blow off tube go? Any chance you can make a lower profile version? In my ferment chamber, I use a standard three piece airlock with a carboy cap and it barely clears even with the airlock essentially shoved as low down as it can go.

How high does the blow off tube go? Any chance you can make a lower profile version? In my ferment chamber, I use a standard three piece airlock with a carboy cap and it barely clears even with the airlock essentially shoved as low down as it can go.

Right now in that picture its 3.5" tall. Of course I can make you a lower profile one. Let me get them in my system today and I will shoot you a PM and let you know all about it and how low I can go..Cool?

Cheers
Jay

I can get it down to 2.25" and still weld it without issues.

PM me if you want to get one made.

I am putting these on the site for $24.99 ea. Probably will be up Tuesday as my Web GURU is off for the 4th weekend...

Cheers
Jay

Jay,

Would it be feasible to use the blow off to push gas as well? Thinking a compression fitting to a corny gas in. That way I could I could use CO2 to push the beer into a keg for my lagers...these Speidel fermenters hold pressure pretty well, so seems like that would be doable. I think I am going to end up spending more on stainless steel upgrades than I spent on the fermenters! :D;)

Jay,

Would it be feasible to use the blow off to push gas as well? Thinking a compression fitting to a corny gas in. That way I could I could use CO2 to push the beer into a keg for my lagers...these Speidel fermenters hold pressure pretty well, so seems like that would be doable. I think I am going to end up spending more on stainless steel upgrades than I spent on the fermenters! :D;)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=7618298

Learn from my mistake

I can get it down to 2.25" and still weld it without issues.

PM me if you want to get one made.

I am putting these on the site for $24.99 ea. Probably will be up Tuesday as my Web GURU is off for the 4th weekend...

Cheers

Jay

I'm traveling for work for a few weeks - but I'll measure when I get home. But if memory serves the air lock is at least 3" above the cap of the fermenter.

It was overnight.
Idea was to cold crash and fix the suckback problem. I used to just swell the lid with gas, but I don't think I was getting a 100% seal around the ball lock post, so it was leaking out very slowly, defeating the purpose.
Great theory, bad idea
I push my finished beer with co2 as well.
No worries there so long as you pay attention
I only had it at 1-2psi, so it apparently swelled until it blew off, since it turned itself inside out.

This is a great product. Sooooo happy with it. Just brewed two IIPAs back to back with it and both turned out fantastic. So much nicer having my temp probe in the middle of my beer instead of in a glass jug beside it. Have a Westy clone and a few lagers on my brew list coming up and will love using this piece of kit on them. Thanks again Jay!

This is a great product. Sooooo happy with it. Just brewed two IIPAs back to back with it and both turned out fantastic. So much nicer having my temp probe in the middle of my beer instead of in a glass jug beside it. Have a Westy clone and a few lagers on my brew list coming up and will love using this piece of kit on them. Thanks again Jay!

Absolutely my pleasure!

On that note... I am working like mad on the new gasket system for all these parts! I have a meeting tomorrow with my silicone guys and the final design and drawing will be done tomorrow. Should have a few sample gaskets to play with in a few weeks... Looks like the first run will yield me a couple thousand gaskets to play with.

Cheers
Jay

Really interested in the blow off tube and thermowell. Any update on the gasket?

Yes please, I need 2 gaskets.

Gasket is done. Just got the actual production sample today and its been fully tested and approved. Now its just production time. They assured me it wouldn't be more than 12-14 days from approval to shipment. I know China is on Chinese New Year at the moment so that MAY put a damper on the production time but I am hopeful.
The gasket is a TAD snug but it works AMAZING I would MUCH rather see it snug then loose! You guys will see in the Video we post up today.

I will be placing it on a Pre Order today for you guys at a 50% discount.
Keep an eye out for a new thread and I will also link it here as well.

I cannot thank you guys enough for your patience. I NEVER would have guessed it would take this long to get a gasket made! But it is the first one I have done so the next one will be a LOT faster!

Cheers
Jay

SpeidelGaskets.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQH7LKdPB8Y&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Just in case you guys subscribed to this thread didn't see the new thread and want the new gasket set up.

Cheers
Jay

Fug
Now I have to teach myself to stop saying schpee-del. High school German failed me.

I was about to buy the 7.9g speidel and bottle right from primary if it was possible. I wasn't sure how high up the yeast line would be. I guess this could only help. What would you recommend I get?

Back