storing pre-tap beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer#19

Reaction score
i thought i'd open up a discussion on storing beer i've made prior to putting it on tap.

i started brewing again this fall mainly inspired by my new corny kegerator set up. i acquired and set up a 3 tap set up this fall and immediately put 2 beers on tap and that it was great, well because it is. but amidst my excitement, i forgot to keep brewing and sure enough, i was out of beer soon. so since then i've ramped up production in attempt to never run out again. i currently have 3 beers on tap, and i want to maintain production such that as soon as a keg kicks, i can replace it with a new beer within a day or two (allow for transfer, carbing, etc.). to do this i obviously need to have brewed a batch 3 weeks prior to a keg kicking, wich is hard to predict based on how often i drink, some weeks a lot, some weeks not so much, so i'll sum it up and say, i'm not relying on predictions. this brings me to the discussion point ...

if i brew a batch, go through primary and secondary, what is the best way store the batch from that point until a keg kicks? i'm guessing there's more than one answer so i figured i'd see what discussion turns up. my thoughts on available options are:

1. leave it in secondary till time to transfer to the keg, i had a beer sit in secondary for 9 months and trun out great so i'm sure this will work.

2. acquire additional corny kegs and either:
a. prime like a normal batch with priming surgar and leave at room temp.
b. purge oxgyen and replace with co2, aka force carb and then either store at room temp or in fridge.

so what are your thoughts or personal experiences?

I have extra gas connections on my manifold in the fridge so that I can do exactly that. Have 3 on tap and 1 conditioning. So when one kicks, I just hook up the next one in the rotation. Works beautifully, then it's already cold and carbed and ready to drink.

Option 2B is what I do.

Get some additional cornies and purge. The aging helps the beer, and I have 2 on tap, 2 ready at all times.

thanks for the response, i figured i needed some more cornies for such a reason, that will be the next step, buying extras.

Back