Going to try my first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MannyEdwards

Reaction score
I have a starter going for a lager. I've never done it before, so it's really an interesting project, and I welcome any suggestions. Here's the recipe:

5 lb Pils dme
1.25 lb Munich lme

1 oz Hallertau Mittelfruh 60 min
.4 oz same 15 min
.6 oz same 0 min

I'm using Saflager 34/70, about 400 billion cells (if the starter does what I think it should).

I'm going to pitch at about 55 F, then step it down to 48 F for two weeks. I'll rack and let it sit at 68 for a couple of days, then step it down to 34 and hold it for 60 days.

Wish me luck!

For future reference Unless your starter is about 4L and you rehydrated the yeast first you would have been better served using a second pack instead.

Is this a 5 gallon batch?

I would pitch at 48F and ferment at 50F

Primary the whole time.

Lager it in the keg or bottles.

Best of luck with it. I've recently been bitten by the lager bug. Very enjoyable stuff.

That is a great post about making starters. Thanks for that and the tips above. Yes, it is a 5 gallon batch. I did rehydrate the yeast, but I only had 2 L, not 4, and I started two packs. It was on a stir plate.

Thanks. Glad it was useful to you.

You'll be in good shape with that amount of yeast. The two packs alone would be fine.

Let us know how things go. Best of luck with the brew.

Good luck and your recipe looks very similar to a Munich Helles, Enjoy!

I agree I would pitch lower 45-48 ferment at 48-50 in primary until its done. Lager it for 3 weeks then sample and see where it at. I would also pull a sample out 10 days in taste it for Diacetyl. aka butter, or after 3or 4 days of some healthy fermentation start raising the temp a degree or 2 per day until you reach 60-65 bout 5 days or 6. Your flavor should be locked in by day 4 of fermentation the slow increase in temp should be impactful on your flavor.

Once your done with fermentation taste it if it needs to sit for a day or two let it sit if it taste great, slowly drop the temp down back to 50 or 45 let it sit for a few extra days then rack and lager.

Just a few pointers of making lagers!

Cheers

Good luck and your recipe looks very similar to a Munich Helles, Enjoy!

I agree I would pitch lower 45-48 ferment at 48-50 in primary until its done. Lager it for 3 weeks then sample and see where it at. I would also pull a sample out 10 days in taste it for Diacetyl. aka butter, or after 3or 4 days of some healthy fermentation start raising the temp a degree or 2 per day until you reach 60-65 bout 5 days or 6. Your flavor should be locked in by day 4 of fermentation the slow increase in temp should be impactful on your flavor.

Once your done with fermentation taste it if it needs to sit for a day or two let it sit if it taste great, slowly drop the temp down back to 50 or 45 let it sit for a few extra days then rack and lager.

Just a few pointers of making lagers!

Cheers

Excellent, thanks! Yes, it's a Munich Helles, maybe my favorite drink of all time. It's going to be hard to meet my own high expectations.

Just looking at the recipe. I would do a single hop addition at 60 mins targeting about 18 IBU. I don't believe a Helles is supposed to have much in the way of hop aroma.

That is of course if you care about the style guidelines or a making something that you will enjoy regardless of style. Either way it looks like a great recipe and will be a Helles. Not trying to knock your creation by any means.:)

Just looking at the recipe. I would do a single hop addition at 60 mins targeting about 18 IBU. I don't believe a Helles is supposed to have much in the way of hop aroma.

That is of course if you care about the style guidelines or a making something that you will enjoy regardless of style. Either way it looks like a great recipe and will be a Helles. Not trying to knock your creation by any means.:)

Not at all -- I want all the help I can get. I agree; I think a Munich Helles should have a low(ish) noble hop aroma, hence the late additions. But it shouldn't be much. I'm glad you mentioned it; I'll be paying attention to the hops flavor and aroma when it comes out, making sure they don't linger into what should be a soft malty finish.

the hops will fall out over time. So if you lager this traditionally and you accidently over hop by month 4 the hops will just be noticeable and give it a some character. My helles has a hop addition at 10 and flame just about 1 oz each. Ive brewed several batches on my system and have discovered I need to increase my flavor and aroma hops cause it tends to lack in that department. I placed with my helles first round of NHC this year by june it was 7 months old and didn't hold up very well with the travel.

Back