Drill Back of Fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worthog82

Reaction score
I've seen some post on drilling the side of refrigerators, but has anyone drilled through the back? I've got a fridge in my garage and want to drill the fridge and run the tap lines into the room on the other side of the wall.

Do the baking soda/alcohol mixture test to make sure there aren't any coolant lines back there. That's the only concern when drilling through a fridge. Hit one of those with your drill, you'll be left with a large insulated box.

Same procedures would apply, I would think. If you don't have coils on the back, you know they are in the walls...
Cut through the inside plastic and dig out the insulation slowly to see if you are going to hit a line. Once you get to the back skin from the inside, you're good to go.

I looked at it closer and the fridge has a metal grate on the back of it, so I assume the coolant lines are in the back. It seems more convenient to drill the side, since the grate is in the way. I'd like to install three taps in the room behind the fridge. I was thinking of building a conduit from the fridge through the dry wall and running the lines through it. The conduit is going to need to bend 90 degree to point toward the dry wall. Does any one see an issue with this? Such as cold airflow restriction inside the conduit. I don't expect the conduit to be very long but want to keep the lines cool.

I looked at it closer and the fridge has a metal grate on the back of it, so I assume the coolant lines are in the back. It seems more convenient to drill the side, since the grate is in the way. I'd like to install three taps in the room behind the fridge. I was thinking of building a conduit from the fridge through the dry wall and running the lines through it. The conduit is going to need to bend 90 degree to point toward the dry wall. Does any one see an issue with this? Such as cold airflow restriction inside the conduit. I don't expect the conduit to be very long but want to keep the lines cool.

I'd think you need to use a fan at the minimum to push or pull cold air through the conduit. I believe that in long runs people use glycol lines to keep the beer cool. Just a bent conduit seems like a deal breaker.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards putting the faucets on the side of the fridge with the Co2 outside.

Latest posts

Back