Any off flavors with too cold of a fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
If the primary gets too cool (specifically around 60 degrees for Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II, but also in general) should I expect any off flavors, or just a slower fermentation?

I've always heard of slower ferments, maybe even yeast dormancy. I would warm it up to at least room temp. The Belgian strains usually do best at the upper end of their range, at least the Wyeast strains.

For a Belgian, the 'off-flavors' ARE the ale. What you'll have is a slow ferment and much less of the flavors associated with a Belgian.

You should be fine @ 60* but your beer may fall outside of the style, especially for a Belgian as the characteristics of Belgian beers come from higher fermentation temperatures Make sure you take a gravity readings if you're fermenting at a low temp in order to be sure that its done fermenting. If your SG is in range after 1 - 2 weeks then you're good to rack or bottle.

With that said I'd do your best to bring it into the appropriate temp range so the yeast can do their best job and so you hit the style you're looking for. It's also not worth knocking the yeast out of suspension and risking a stalled fermentation if you can help it.

When fermenting cold, you can also give the carboy a gentle swirl every once in a while during primary fermentation in order to be sure that the yeast don't settle out too much (don't shake). As a general rule, it's better to ferment too cold than too warm...extremes of either (i.e. far outside of the reccomended temperature range) will result in stuck fermentations if its too cold or off-flavors if its too warm.

Fermented Irish Red Ale around 60F, with very slow fermentation. Bottled after 3 weeks. Stored bottles around 58F for 1 week, and opened a bottle - little carbonization/fizz, with a "high" type of off taste. Moved the bottles to 63F for a week, and opened a bottle - more carbonization/fizz, but still a "high" type of off taste, with an accompanying bitter taste. It's my third batch, and first one brewed in the winter. Will only brew in the fall and spring from now on, and maybe one batch of Saison in the summer. Will this off taste go away, if I age the bottle ale for, let's say, 2 more weeks?

You need to bottle condition at about 70°F for about 3 weeks to get good carbonation. Sometimes you can get away with shorter times, but often not. In general higher gravity beers will take longer to carb than lower gravity beers. Lower temps will carbonate much more slowly. The three weeks of bottle conditioning will also help some (but not all) off flavors mellow out.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back