How much trouble am i in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westy1970

Reaction score
Brewed up an American wheat yesterday and forgot to add the second round of hops. They (1 oz pellets) were supposed to be added with 5 minutes left and I completely spaced it. Should I dump the whole batch or drive on?

Since 5 minute additions are for aroma,just get a stable FG then dry hop 1 week with it. I think dry hopping gives better aroma anyway.

Don't dump the batch!

The beer will probably be malt forward. You could add the hops as dry hops to try and get some flavor/aroma or just leave it alone but definitely don't dump! everything can be salvaged!

Unionrdr is moving faster than me today :D

You will be fine.

At 5 minutes it was not going to add bitterness just some aroma.

You can always throw them in as dry hops after fermentation is over.

The beer is 100% not ruined, don't dump it.

You won't lose bitterness, so that's not a worry. At five minutes left in the boil you're going for aroma with a little flavor. You could leave it as is or even dry hop it in about a week. You could even boil the hops in a little water for 5 minutes and add that to your fermenter, but if it were me, I'd let it sit and taste it after a week or 10 days. If you feel you would like it to smell a little bit more like what those hops smell like, dump em in - if the beer seems good without, leave it.

That's a very minor mistake. You will lose hop aroma in the nose, that's it. There are VERY VERY few mistakes that should lead to dumped batches, and this isn't even close to one.

:off:

Wow, people liked this question :)

As I was typing there were no other responses and mine ended up 6th! That's what I like about this site - all six answers simultaneously entered, and they all agree. HBT!

Yes, you should dump the entire batch.....over at my place. I see it's the only salvageable solution

Back