Mars Curiosity. Anyone Else Excited!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who's to say that it would undermine creationism? I always thought it kind of arrogant to believe that if there is a God, we are the only planet he created life on.

In Christianity/Judaism/Islam, the creation myth is pretty explicit that god created life on earth (there is a single moon and a single sun, etc).

I agree: to believe we are the only life in the entire universe is insanely arrogant.

In Christianity/Judaism/Islam, the creation myth is pretty explicit that god created life on earth (there is a single moon and a single sun, etc).
There is also no mention about of the continents of North America, South America, Antarctica, or Australia in the texts of Christianity/Judaism/Islam . Religions have become flexible in accepting many things that aren't written in their sacred texts and the creationism theory will become as flexible to adapt to the imminent discovery of life outside of our world. Sorry haters, creationism is gonna be around a long, long time.

Sorry haters, creationism is gonna be around a long, long time.

No debate there. Once proof of (older) extraterrestrial life emerges however, there will be no relaxing of interpretation possible to encompass that fundamental blunder in mythology: humanity isn't "special" or "first" in the universe. No doubt believers will always flex their standards to perpetuate their beliefs (see: the evolution debate).

Edit: no more off-topic religious banter from me tonight... very excited about this mission and the information it can bring to mankind.

I have to disagree. I am glad that they got smart about the situation and shut down the Discovery missions to focus more on deep space travel. This is the direction that NASA needs to focus more on, sending man missions to mars.
I would much rather we spend our tax dollars on space travel rather than deep sea observations. I mean what would be better discovering a extraterrestrial life or another 5 different types of sea urchin at the bottom of the pacific.

But then again I could use a nice brew stand..

Here is something to consider though since we are now commissioning Russia to send our astronauts into space:

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2011/03/sending-34-bill.html

"NASA has signed a $753 million modification to the current International Space Station contract with the Russian Federal Space Agency for crew transportation, rescue and related services from 2014 through June 2016. The firm-fixed price modification covers comprehensive Soyuz support, including all necessary training and preparation for launch, flight operations, landing and crew rescue of long-duration missions for 12 individual space station crew members."

Keith's note: $753 million/12 astronauts = $62.75 million/astronaut.

No NASA Discount For Soyuz Seats, 2010, earlier post

"NASA has signed a deal worth 306 million dollars (224 million euros) with Roskomos for six rides to the ISS in 2012 and 2013, or a charge of 51 million dollars per US astronaut."

NASA Extends Contract with Russian Federal Space Agency, 2008, earlier post

"NASA has signed a $141 million modification to the current International Space Station contract with the Russian Federal Space Agency for crew transportation services planned through the spring of 2012."

I agree: to believe we are the only life in the entire universe is insanely arrogant.

well as the OP i guess i can respond, but this is definitely not the section for debate on creationism vs. evolution universal or otherwise.

The Bible also mentions the four corners and whole earth even tho people were totally unaware of what was beyond the horizon. God only reveals information at a time when we can really appreciate it. Brewing is evidence of this revelation. Before, making wine or beer was "magic" as they had no clue microscopic organisms made the alcohol. If you were to go back in time and tell people the future include flying like birds and sending messages through invisible transmission, you would probably be stoned for heresy or just general nuttiness.

As it is this is awesome:

ALeqM5iycA9NpRZpW3Sdyib9e646YDvRZw

:ban::ban: (yep worth of two dancing bananas!)

Back