Questions about Belgian Candi Sugar/Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmanlua

Reaction score
I don't have enough malt to make a regular starter so I was thinking about making a starter out of Belgian Candi Sugar. Will it work, and if so what should the sugar to water ratio be?

Also my recipe calls for adding 2lbs of it during primary, I am wondering what effect that will have on my OG?

Will it work? It will certainly propagate yeast which is the primary point of a starter. You run the risk of producing a lot of yeast lacking the enzymes to ferment wort. I would strongly recommend against it. A better alternative, if you really can't get malt extract, would be to purchase malta goya at the grocery store and make a starter with that.

The belgian candy syrup, if that is what you have, has like 30-35 points per pound per gallon (ppg) so 2 lbs in 5 gallons would give you 12-14 points of gravity. Hard sugar is more like 45 pppg.

Back