Burton Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tetrylone

Reaction score
Sup!

So I need some input from you super brew geeks out there.

I brewed a candied cantaloupe wheat beer this weekend and all was going good. I was using the burton ale yeast WLP023 and fermentation is about 48 hours in at this point. When I left for work this morning I checked the temp on my carboy - 72F. I got home today and this yeast ran my beer into a fever - it was at 78 while Ambient room temperature was only 65.

WTF?!?!

I lowered the temp to 72 again by carboy/water immersion but now what? Is my beer gonna be all hot and fusel-ly now? Any thoughts? :mug:

Surprise, fermentation is exothermic!
EDIT: At a rate of ~140 kcal/kg of extract.

Really?!?

No really... I knew that but was taken aback at the rate for this brew as I have not seen it like this before.

I was more looking to see if anyone had any idea as to the likely outcome in terms of flavor components created by the WLP023 (Burton Ale Yeast) at a temperature of 78, for a period of ~8 hours while 40 or so hours into the fermentation process.

BTW 944Play... Nice photo. Is that a huge Miller High Life behind you? RUN!

Yes, WLP023 at 78 degrees will probably have some off flavors. Live and learn, let the beer age so they mellow out, and all will be well. Assuming you let it age well, you probably won't even be able to notice them.

Latest posts

Back