Check this out,cheap digital hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Addicted

Reaction score
This looks pretty cool,i hate spinning the glass hydrometer and trying to get an accurate reading.For 78 bucks shipped I'm in.Plus it has a thermometer.It should work right?

I'm guessing that thing doesn't actually do SG. Infers it from the salinity, which it measures by conductivity. Just a guess, but I don't see how it can measure density of the liquid from what it looks like.

I have a saltwater reef and the salinity meters read in specific gravity. I.e., 1.023 is the normal SG of saltwater.

However, I TOTALLY support you in being the test rabbit on this thing. Looking forward to the review.

We will find out soon,I bought it.I can always re sell it.

I am interested in seeing what the results are. If you don't mind, can you post a side by side comparison when you first use it? Read your glass hydrometer and this thing side by side.

I have a refractometer and it makes things pretty easy. This could be even easier if it works they way we all hope it will.

Sure can.If it Doesn't work i can always set up a salt water aquarium.Had one many years ago.

I am guessing this won't work for wort but even if it did it requires a larger sample than a refractometer and probably a cooled sample. I'm not seeing the upside.

I am guessing this won't work for wort but even if it did it requires a larger sample than a refractometer and probably a cooled sample. I'm not seeing the upside.

I don't follow you.

Sanitize the probe. Dip in the fermenter. Read the screen. Why would you even need to take a sample out? Also if you read the description it has temperature compensation so it should work on the warm wort right before dropping in your yeast on brew day.

Bummer,When i unpacked the unit it said it measured temp,specific gravity and salinity.At that point i thought i was good,then i noticed it said it only went up to 1.032,so i figured i would still use it in later stages.I tried it out tonight on a batch of hard cider and when i dipped it for a reading it read "Error",Dammit!.It will not work.I may try it on beer just for giggles,but chances are it will go back on e bay to recoup some of my 78 bucks.It was worth i shot i guess.

This one will probably work:

http://www.sbsbattery.com/subpage_index.php?_subp_=91

I've got one at work, but haven't been able to convince my boss to let me borrow it :)

Again, I doubt this would work for a sugar solution. I am guessing it measures conductivity and infers the electrolyte concentration.

I know how to design a simple, inexpensive digital hydrometer, and I'll do it as soon as I finish my back-burnered SRM/Turbidity/RGB colorimeter.

I know how to design a simple, inexpensive digital hydrometer, and I'll do it as soon as I finish my back-burnered SRM/Turbidity/RGB colorimeter.

Let's see it... That'd be a great thing to add to my little temperature probe project - tracking the temperature and SG of fermentation over time would be awesome.

Again, I doubt this would work for a sugar solution. I am guessing it measures conductivity and infers the electrolyte concentration.

Docs say it uses an "oscillating tube method" for measurement. It can be used for both lead-acid and NiCad, which use different electrolytes, and there's nothing in the user interface to select the cell or electrolyte type.

If only I could borrow it...

This looks pretty cool,i hate spinning the glass hydrometer and trying to get an accurate reading.For 78 bucks shipped I'm in.Plus it has a thermometer.It should work right?

https://tilthydrometer.com/

This looks promising. I know this is an old thread but I was looking for something like this and the was the first thread I found. So I thought others might be looking for this as well.

Back