First brew to be bottled Saturday, Woo Hoo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakedawgs

Reaction score
I took a gravity reading last night on my first brew, a NewCastle clone, after 11 days fermenting and it was 1.013, target was 1.014. The hydrometer reading was almost as exciting as seeing the first bubbles in the airlock.
I will bottle Saturday and wait for 4wks for conditioning.

I tasted the beer I used for the hyrometer reading, about 3oz and was shocked that it really did not taste bad at all. I know it will carb and more flavor will come out after bottling but it was not too bad. Its a little lighter in color than I hoped but my main goal with this first batch was non infected, drinkable beer. I think I am on my way.

This is an ugly hobby.....one batch not even bottled and some Apfelwein fermenting and I am ready to go ALL GRAIN!!! Got a couple more extract kits waiting to be used and then I'll try partial mashing first I guess.
THANKS TO ALL!

Wait till you taste that 1st brew. You'll be surprised how much better it'll be when it's finally ready to drink. I brewed the Cooper's OS lager kit that came with my "micro brew kit". I brewed it straight up just to establish a base line for color,flavor,head retention,etc. Aged 3 weeks at 70F,in the fridge for 3 days. Last night,we were all out of craft brews/imports from the store,so we cracked a few of the lagers.
Wow! It was on the malty side flavor-wise,since the kit uses ale yeast. Made it taste more like an English pale ale. The ones with the malt-forward flavors. At 45-50F,I could taste this floral,earthy sweetness. Dito on aroma as it warms up.
My wife absolutely loves it! She was so surprised at how good it was,compared to the BMC's we were drinking. Cha-freaking ching!! She couldn't get enough,big smile on her face as she told me how proud of me she was!! Aaaaww,shuckins,mam...t'wern't nuthin! But,Imo,it needs maybe 1oz of Willamette to balance the profile. It has that floral,fruity,earthy,spicy thing that I think would complete this beer well. Don't look now,but I think we have another convert...:rockin:

Latest posts

Back