Recirculation Coil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am working in an upgrade to my system. I need a 100' SS coil my fermentation heat exchanger.

Please let me know if a 7 gal/min chugger pump would work with a 100' coil.

Thanks,
Nil :mug:

What is the inside diameter of the coil? Total vertical head? (IE: pump is on a shelf 2' off the ground, highest point of the coil or hose is 6' = 4')

Hmm.. I run 50' of 1/2" copper with a Chugger in my "linear" cfc. No problems at all. I suspect at 100' it would still work... but I only have like 4' head on it total...

Assuming half inch true ID all the way, not accounting for any elbows, you are looking at about 13.5' of friction loss at only two GPM. Then if we assume 4' of static head you are already deadheading the pump if this is the unit you have: http://s3.amazonaws.com/PWAY01/chugger/Chugger-Pump-CPSS-CPPS-Manual.pdf

So you might wind up getting a gallon or so a minute out of it. Really need something that outputs more pressure.

Edit: or larger tubing.

Static head is 5 feet, so actual flow rate is < 7 gal/min. I am thinking to go down to 85' so I can stay away from a more powerful pump.

Back