Imperial IPA yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
I am making an Imperial IPA recipe out of "clone brews 2nd edition" recipe book and it says

"three days before bottling, prime the beer in the 2nd stage with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast. Bottle when fermentation is complete."

I was just testing the recipe so I only made one gallon. Is it 100% necessary to add this 2nd dosage of yeast? Is it because the high alcohol level did something to the originally added yeast??? Only asking cause I dont wanna have to buy more yeast for just a one gallon batch if it's not needed. Thanks for any input on the matter

You didn't give enough information to answer the question.

I would say that there is no need to use any more yeast. But ..... if you tell us it's been fermenting for 12 months, or you used a low alcohol yeast for a high alcohol beer, my answer may be different.

What yeast
How long
What OG
What FG

Really, the only reason they say to use fresh yeast when bottling is to ensure you have adequate carbonation. I made a lambic a number of years ago that I let sit for about 2 years before bottling and didn't use fresh yeast; it carbonated just fine. I wouldn't bother with adding fresh yeast when bottling, regardless of the recipe.

Back