Bottling from keg and allowing bottles to warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I would like to bottle 5 gal of beer from the kegerator to avoid having yeast sediment at the bottom of my bottles so i can take it places and drink straight from the bottle. I did read that repeat warming and cooling of the beer will result in chill haze. IfI was to cool once while it carbs in the corny keg and then trasfer to bottles and allow to warm and only chill bottles as needed is there any problem in this? The reason for transfering all 5 gal is to free up space for beers i would like to have on tap

Unknown, but I don't think it will matter much. I suggest keeping a few bottles chilled all the time and then doing a taste test.

When I've entered competitions, that's pretty much what I've done. Bottle from the keg (with the "we no need no stinking beer gun" thread technique), and then send the bottles off. The bottles probably stayed warm for several weeks before being chilled before the actual competition. No issues that I know of.

I had a similar question except I'm not bottling. Basically I have a so-so beer on tap right now and I have one that is ready to take its place that I am excited to try. Can I just take the so-so out of the kegerator and store at basement temps in the keg and put back in another time with no ill effects?

I had a similar question except I'm not bottling. Basically I have a so-so beer on tap right now and I have one that is ready to take its place that I am excited to try. Can I just take the so-so out of the kegerator and store at basement temps in the keg and put back in another time with no ill effects?

Sure. Don't purge out the co2 from the keg when you take it offline, so the co2 remains in the headspace of the keg and it'll be fine.

I never heard of warming-cooling-warming-cooling causing chill haze. I always thought it was once it cooled, the chill haze came. But then again if you're planning on drinking straight from the bottle, what do you care if there's a chill haze? It's not like you can taste it...

Sure. Don't purge out the co2 from the keg when you take it offline, so the co2 remains in the headspace of the keg and it'll be fine.

Yooper's right. I did this with one of my keg beers - took it out of the kegerator, stored it at about 63F for 6 months, then put it back in, and it was still good. It mellowed out a bit, but no ill effects. You gotta keep the CO2 on it, though.

TB

Back