Dry Yeast for an English Pale Ale??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
So I have been wanting to try using dry yeast for like, ever. The only thing I have got to use it on is Ed's Apple Juice and that was a smashing success; I smashed into the floor and the next thing I remember it was daylight and I have a smashing headache, so I guess you call that a smashing success.

Anyway I had never tried English Pale Ale before because I figured it would be overly bitter. I guess I was associating it with India Pale Ale. But now I am in love with English Pale Ale after getting hammered on some Bass. Lucky for me I have found out our water is naturally perfect for this style too. Low in sulfur and high in carbonate, according to my local homebrew club. They say it's one of the most popular styles to brew locally without water adjustments. Anyway, I have always wanted to try a good dry yeast, but on every style I have tried everyone told me that style I was brewing didn't do well with dry. Will this be a good style for dry yeast?

Try Danstar Windsor yeast.

Or Safale S04

Those are the best dry options for English ales, but in my opinion the best yeasts for those styles are the liquid strains- WLP002, 005, etc.. I never got the character I was looking for in an English ale from a dry yeast, though some here love these strains. In particular, Windsor attenuates low and hardly flocculates, and the S-04 was a bit too "clean" for what I wanted in an English beer. Again, just my subjective experience.

I do, though, love Nottingham for a clean American style pale ale/amber, and have had good success with S-05 for the same sorts of beers.

Latest posts

Back