Help on picking the right pilsner yeast strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crammer

Reaction score
I'm going to add a Czech Pilsner extract kit to the brew schedule for early January but I don't know which yeast I should pick; is there really a huge noticeable difference between these strains? Recommendations? :tank:

Wyeast Strains:
2000 - Budvar Lager
2001 - Urquell Lager
2124 - Bohemian Lager
2278 - Czech Pils

White Labs:
WLP802 - Czech Budejovice Lager
WLP800 - Pilsner Lager Yeast:

2000 Budvar Lager yeast => "Budvar"
2001 Urquell Lager yeast = WLP800 Pilsner Lager yeast=> "Pilsner Urquell lager H-strain"
2124 Bohemian Lager yeast = WLP830 German Lager yeast => "Weihenstephan 34/70"
2278 Czech Pils yeast => "Pilsner Urquell-D"
WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager yeast => "Samsons via Budejovicky Mestansky Pivovar"

Depends on what you want....

I currently have a Bohemian Pils with the Bohemian Lager/ German Lager/Weihenstephan 34/70 yeast. Didn't pick the yeast for that beer, just happens to be my one and only lager yeast.

Hey guys, I know I'm late to the party... I've been researching for a new lager recipe and have come across some good information that I'd like to post.

German and Czech lagers are actually fairly different so you should decide which type of beer you'd like first and then go from there.

Regarding the different types of Pilsner Urquel yeasts, I've read that they use four different strains of yeast (or did at one point) to do their brewing.

I've been thinking of buying the Urquell yeasts and then pitching two separate batches.... Seeing which I like more, or potentially blending them after the lagering period is over.

I just started a German pils on some leftover PU yeast. I had it available so I thought I'd experiment and see what happened. While the recipes are pretty similar, the water I used was very different. We shall see what happens.

I just brewed second batch this past weekend using PU 2001. First one fermented out down to 1.008 in 14 days and didn't had any diacetyl. I'm lagering it right now so cannot comment on taste but I think I really like to work with this strain

Back