What is the real Difference? Candi/Caramel syrup.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive been making my own syrup for a while now.
4# beet sugar, 3c. h20, 1/2 oz. lactic acid. boil 1 hr (or to desired color), cool & bottle. I have kept it up to 6 mo w/ no off flavors coming thru or crystallization.
So my question is; Everyone is saying that this recipe is for `caramel syrup` not `candi syrup`. Everything I`ve researched tells me Belgian breweries use beet sugar for their syrups. I have not found any evidence that there are sugar beet growers or processing plants in Belgium, and if so they are one of the lowest producing countries in the EU. Germany is tied with the US for second place in global production at 25 million tons annually with France taking first place at 29 million tons. Just about all the the white table sugar found in the grocery store is beet sugar, save for Domino`s or any with the label `made with real sugar cane`. So is there any real difference or is it just the fact that made it in the states so it`s `American candi syrup` as opposed to Belgian?

It is the way it is made. Candi syrup (according to the importer) does not contain acid (or anything else besides refined sugar). The way they produce it concentrates the flavorful byproducts of caramelization by removing the sugar that crystallizes. Have you tried the real stuff? The color is much darker and the flavor is more complex than anything I was able to make at home. Caramel syrup can be a great addition to a beer, it just isn't the same thing.

Back