seeds of paradise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Saw these at the lhbs the other day and didn't really know what they were. I'm very familiar with coriander seeds, but seeds of paradise? Did a google search and all I came up with was a bunch of suppliers of cannabis seeds overseas.
What do they taste like, or better what do they add to the brew?

Seeds of Paradise
Type: Spice
Use for: Spiced Beer
Quantity: 0.6 ml. - ⅛ tsp.
For a Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Add to: Boil
Time: 5.0 minutes left of boil

Notes
Also called Paradise Seeds or Grains of Paradise. Native to West Africa. Pepper zing with citrus notes, pine aroma. I usually add them to my Belgian Ales.

Wild

One of the commercial beers best know for using grains of paradise is Sam Adams Summer Ale. It gives a bit of a peppery taste.

Willie3 said:
Are they cannibus seeds?

No, they are definitely not cannabis seeds.

I typically use them when brewing belgian styles. They help replicate the unique taste/aroma that is indicative of some belgian ales.

Use them, they definitely add a very nice flavor profile to the beer. BUT, don't use too much as they are VERY strong. I'd use no more than 1/4 ounce. I have made many Belgians with that and they turn out great. I put them in a plastic sandwich bag and gently crush them before adding them, usually for the last 15 minutes.

Not mentioned in the wiki article is you can out them in coffee too. I use five grains in the grinder with the whole coffee beans.

Common in Ethiopian cuisine, if you are going for a volume purchase you might google on Ethiopian food or Ethiopian whatever to save a few bucks, sort of like buying cinamon or cloves in the Hispanic aisle at the grocery store.

Back