Vegetable/herb beer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A brew club I just recently joined is doing a small challenge for October which is a vegetable/herb/spice beer. I wanted to try to do a 2.5 gal extract with steeping grains pumpkin spice ale, but since pumpkins aren't currently in season was going to sub in sweet potatoes.

This is my first crack at creating a recipe, so any input would be greatly appreciated. I was going to cube and bake the sweet potatoes with brown sugar until it browns then add it sometime during the boil. The following was what I came up with, plugged into beersmith it puts me in range for the style:

Steeping grains:
1lb Victory Malt
1lb Crystal 80L

Add 4lbs amber liquid extract, boil for 60mins with .5oz cluster hops at 60, 1oz tettnang hops at 15, .25tsp Irish moss at 10, and an undetermined amount of pumpkin pie spice at flame out. Was planning on using dry Safale s04 yeast. Was going to do 2.5 gallons boil then top it back to 2.5 to replace any water lost to evaporation.

Again, this is my first attempt at creating a recipe so any input or advice is appreciated!! Thanks in advance :)

From what I've read (and not experienced) vegetables need to be mashed with some base grains in order to get the sugars out of them. I've read a lot of debates about doing pumpkin beers as extracts and all grains. If you start searching for that you'll start getting a lot of theory. So far, I've been persuaded to the "you need to mash them" side. I'll only be doing my second pumpkin beer this year and I plan to do an all grain batch of it. FWIW. Either way you'll get beer. :tank:

Ok so other than the sweet potato which I am looking into making a mash set up with a 5 g igloo cooler... Does this recipe look ok? I know now I'll need to add some sort of base to get the mash reaction.. But other than that? Thanks!!!

You can use canned pumpkin and bake it first. I've looked at a few recipes on some recent threads here since I am interested in a pumpkin beer. I think you can just add it to the boil, or seconary. Search a little and a few will pop up for you :)

Back