Batch Sparging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
For those of you who batch sparge, how many do you do??? 1,2, ect....

Up until now I've been mashing at 1.5 qts per pound, then knowing how much total water I need, batch sparging with the difference....Its usually been 2 sparges around 2-4 galons per.

I've been getting good efficiency, but maybe too good.....I'm thinking that maybe I'm sparging too much and getting unwanted flavors out of the mash near the end of the second sparge????

I heard that you total water used for mash and sparging should not exceed 3.3 qts per pound.....

Ideas....

I use two equal sparges, based on the amount I need to start the boil. pH 5.2 in the sparge water ensures there is no tannin extraction.

I use two different size pots. For my first sparge I use the big one and stir like crazy for maybe five minutes. The second pot is smaller, and I just stir a lot, but not 5 minutes, because I already got most of the good stuff out of it.

My stike water is 172, and that ends up being 151 after 15 minutes. I sparge with 185 twice for 15 minutes each and that ends up being 170 after resting a few. Pretty much depends on what you have.

The reasoning is because this is what I have and it doesn't really make that much difference. Just so you end up with the right boil volume. I do 8 gallon boils for 90 minutes and end up with 6 gallons.

I also don't worry about efficiency. I just buy more grains. I probably don't do anything correctly except for making really good beer.

For those of you who batch sparge, how many do you do??? 1,2, ect....

Up until now I've been mashing at 1.5 qts per pound, then knowing how much total water I need, batch sparging with the difference....Its usually been 2 sparges around 2-4 galons per.

I've been getting good efficiency, but maybe too good.....I'm thinking that maybe I'm sparging too much and getting unwanted flavors out of the mash near the end of the second sparge????

I heard that you total water used for mash and sparging should not exceed 3.3 qts per pound.....

Ideas....

I do a single batch sparge unless there are unusual circumstances. I average 84% efficiency, so I don't see the point in doing more than that. So, you're _thinking_ that you;re getting unwanted flavors? You're not _tasting_ unwanted flavors? I think you're thinking too much! And I've never heard of "don't excedd a total of 3.3 qt./;lb." thing....you do whatever you need to do.

Back