First time kegging, beer less clear than pre carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnmir

Reaction score
I brewed an american amber ale, dry hopped, then gelatin and chilled. It was crystal clear as I racked into the sanitized corney.
Its been on 20psi gas for about 4 days, and isn't fully carbed, but when i pour, it isn't crystal clear anymore, even after sitting in the glass.
I don't think it's chill haze, that should have been apparent after cold crashing before carbing.
Is this typical, will it clear, or did i do something to cause it?

Your first couple of pulls of the tap might be hazy from the sediment in the bottom of your keg. If it lasts past a couple of glasses, then I'm not sure what it might be other than chill haze.

Your first couple of pulls of the tap might be hazy from the sediment in the bottom of your keg. If it lasts past a couple of glasses, then I'm not sure what it might be other than chill haze.

Give it another couple of days. Probably just some yeast that needs to settle back out. I take a once a week to a guys night get together. It usually needs almost a week before it gets back to crystal clear.

My kegs take two weeks to pour as clear as my bottle do in only need one. I think the only way around it is to put clearer beer into the keg.

Same here - the last few pulls from my keg (typically a keg lasts 2 weeks) is always the clearest. I have begun chilling my keg a week or so before I even tap it.

FWIW, I chill and carb for 2 weeks before I even pull my first pint, my beers are always very clear.:D

Yep, even with the gelatin, stuff will fall out in the keg. once its carbed, the first 2 pints usually clears my sediment near the dip tube.

I have this same problem with newly kegged beers. I just pulled the first few pints out of a new keg yesterday and the first 2 pints were cloudy, then things began to clear up. This beer was secondaried in a carboy for 2 weeks, then kegged and carbed for a week at 30psi (68 degrees ambient temp.) then placed into the fridge for a few days at 38 degrees. I raised the pressure to 30psi for 24 hours, then dropped it back down to serving pressure.

I will let it sit now (after a few pints have been removed for tasting :drunk:) and allow it to clear out again.

I am thinking of filtering my next brew and then following the above procedure to reduce the clearing time needed before I pour. I just don't have the pipeline yet to wait long enough for the beer to clear on its own.

Salute! :mug:

Back