Slow Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason4run

Reaction score
My primary fermentation has not become "vigorous" after 4 days. I am getting a bubble from the airlock every 2 seconds. Is that a problem? I am using a 4-gallon water jug from Sam's Club for my primary. I assume it is sterile because I bought it and dumped the water out and used it immediately. I put in 3 gallons of Sam's Club apple juice (no preservatives) and 6 cups of sugar. I rehydrated Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast and pitched it in. Temperature was around 70 degrees. When I moved it the next day, it foamed up like a coke bottle. Does anything sound bad here? I plan to top it off with apple juice and just let nature take its course.

We all have had concerns, and we have all asked is it fine, and usually the answer is yes.

You can't make yeast do what you want them too. If you are concerned take a gravity reading. Or just wait for a few weeks.

As for the Champagne yeast. This seems to strip the apple flavor out for the first 6 months. Then freakishly the flavor will come back. Go ahead and drink it young, but do yourself a favor and save some for a year and see what happens.

This sounds like a perfectly normal Apple Wine fermentation with RS Champ yeast to me. I think you are off to a great start for sure! Leave it be for at least 4 weeks and it shoudl clear nicely if you leave it at 70F.

Dont bottle it earlier than 4 weeks though, you want it to clear in the primary before bottling.

Latest posts

Back