Making cider, yeast questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinipa

Reaction score
i made some cider this weekend everything was great till i pitched the yeast there were going strong for 16 hours and now slowed down a lot. My blow tube is still releasing air like crazy but no signs of yeast going crazy in the carboy?? is this normal for champagne yeast?? i used 4 gallons of cider, 1lbs of honey, 3 pounds of amber DME boiled for 45 mins or so. thanks for the help HBT

There typically is no krausen with champaign yeasts. The only way you can know that it is active sometimes is hydrometer readings.

Thanks and will do when i get home tonight. i figured it was OK, but just making sure, it is the basement at 65 or so. thanks again i hope that it will turn ok, it looks really good.

My husband and I just started a aplewien using Premier Cuvee cause it is what I had. It is his first wine, and it is totally boggling his mind that there is no foam (krusan?). I'm always amazed at how much foam his beer makes, forcing him to use a blow off.

No, it is not the yeast, but the apple juice that doesn't really show anything is happening.

thanks for the info, i think it is going to be OK, i will just relax and have some home brew and wait a couple of weeks and then bottle. 1 cup of priming sugar is cool for the 5 gallons??

The yeast have been going crazy now for 4 days strong.I will let it sit for another 2 to 3 weeks and then to the bottle and then down in to my bellllyyyy. :mug::D

how much priming sugar should i use for 5 gallons of the cider i made?? I was thing about 1 cup for 5 gallons?? Thanks for the help.

well the cider was a hit, the girl and her sister put a hurting on it why i was out of town for a week, i guess i need to make more! i had 4 12 packs now 1 12er.
i will be making more of this!!!! thanks for all of the help!!

YES, start the pipeline now and hide some of it away and you will realize while it taste good at one to two months, it tastes sooooo much better at 8 months+.
Once you can convince all the drinkers that you must not serve any cider until it's proper time, you will come to love ciders as much as any beer or wine.
... Stepping off of my evangelistic milk carton / Carboy protector now... :)

they want me to make more so off to the brew store to get some stuff for it and let this one sit in the carboy for 2 to 3 months then i think i will bottle it and store some away from them!!!

Latest posts

Back