Honey Kolsch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingC

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has done the Northern Brewer Honey Kolsch kit, or if anyone has any insight into the Kolsch beer itself. I am doing my second batch of beer (which is the NB honey kolsch kit) and I just racked from primary to secondary tonight. I have noticed that beer smells odd. I'm not quite sure what it is supposed to smell like but right now it doesnt' smell all that appealing. I tried to be as sanitary as possible during brew day and so on, so hopefully it isn't a contamination. If anyone has any insight for me i would greatly appreciate it. If not i guess i will just have to see what happens in about 5 weeks. thanks. :mug:

There are quite a few people here that have done Kolsch-style beers. I made one a month or so ago. I am bottling it this weekend.

What yeast did you use?

I used WhiteLabs and it was extremely clean fermenting.

Some yeast strains can produce sulfur tastes/smells. This can be reduced by cold conditioning.

Can you try to describe the taste? Also, if you want, post the recipe.

If it smells like eggs or sulphur it's ok because that's what Kolsch/Lager/Pilsener yeasts smell like when they are fermenting. It will be gone by the time you start drinking:)

From what I understand a Kosch is like a pilsener but less hoppy and it's just named Kolsch after the area it's brewed (due to some old european laws about what can be brewed where).

Cold condition the secondary for a month if you can.

Seriously, I lucked out with my maibock. I was very close to tossing it down the drain on numerous occasions. 3 weeks after bottling, it was carbed and tasted like ass.

But after a month of cold conditioning, it turned into this incredibly thick and chewy lager with hints of watermelon and green apple. It's like candy. FG of like 1.020 with nearly 7% ABV. Absolutely fantastic.

And it tasted like bitter ass just a month ago.

I have a Kolsch fermenting downstairs and it has a definite sulfurous aroma. I think it's just the style, because I was meticulous about sanitation. I can't wait for it to be done! Don't worry, I bet it's fine...:)

Junebug said:
I have a Kolsch fermenting downstairs and it has a definite sulfurous aroma. I think it's just the style, because I was meticulous about sanitation. I can't wait for it to be done! Don't worry, I bet it's fine...:)

What yeast did you use?

Every Kolsch i've made has had a sulfur taste when they're first in the bottle. They need to age for some time for it to mellow. just finished up my Big Daddy Kolsch! Had a 2 Liter bottle the other night! :)

DeathBrewer said:
Every Kolsch i've made has had a sulfur taste when they're first in the bottle. They need to age for some time for it to mellow. just finished up my Big Daddy Kolsch! Had a 2 Liter bottle the other night! :)
That's why I came up with a Kolsch variation using a non-Kolsch yeast. (see below).

Of course, it's the Kolsch yeast that makes it a ... Kolsch... LOL

Kolsch yeast is a PITA..."stupid kolsch yeast..."

Beerrific said:
There are quite a few people here that have done Kolsch-style beers. I made one a month or so ago. I am bottling it this weekend.

What yeast did you use?

I used WhiteLabs and it was extremely clean fermenting.

Some yeast strains can produce sulfur tastes/smells. This can be reduced by cold conditioning.

Can you try to describe the taste? Also, if you want, post the recipe.

thanks for the information guys. I guess i'll just let the beer do its thing for a while. the yeast i used for this was Wyeast american wheat yeast. there were numerous suggestions to cold condition the beer to make it better. would I cold condition the beer in the secondary fermenter and, if so, how exactly would i go about doing that? (as i said in my first post i'm still new to this brewing thing):mug:

I use an old dorm fridge.

With the wheat yeast, I don't know if you need to do a cold condition. If you think the smells/flavor need it 2 weeks in a secondary and 3ish weeks in bottles just might do the trick.

Beerrific said:
What yeast did you use?

It was that $%&@! smack pack that I had to smacktivate...took me forever! It was wyeast brand, and on the pack it was stamped "Kolsch". :)

Junebug said:
It was that $%&@! smack pack that I had to smacktivate...took me forever! It was wyeast brand, and on the pack it was stamped "Kolsch". :)

I think the cold conditioning will help with this for sure.

Beerrific said:
I think the cold conditioning will help with this for sure.

The aroma is beginning to dissipate substantially now that the airlock activity is quieting. It's been a week since I made it. The beer itself is beautiful to behold...a gorgeous, golden hue. Very unlike the amber ale sitting next to it. I am considering purchasing an extra fridge for the basement so I can store all this stuff I'm making...:mug:

Latest posts

Back