First Lager - Slow Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcpusc

Reaction score
I'm trying my first hand at a lager and the fermentation is proceeding rather slowly. I understand this is not uncommon but I'd like to get some feedback.

The yeast is Wyeast 2278 Czech Pils - I made a 1L starter but couldn't brew when I wanted, so the starter sat for 5 days, with agitation every day. I added a second smack pack to the starter when I pitched it to "help".

Recipe: 8lbs Am. 2-row pale, 7lbs flaked corn, 4oz Carapils.
OG: 1.050

I don't have a fermentation fridge so I'm using my outside storage unit to ferment. Fermentation temperature has been between 45 & 52 degrees depending on the outside temp.

I racked at 5 days because there was a lot of trub and because that's when I rack for my ales. There was a small krausen. The gravity was 1.044 and the wort tastes very sweet.

Eh, you probably just racked off the yeast. Lager yeast, unlike ale yeast, is bottom fermenting. Some of that trub may have been your yeast. Lager ferments take about 3-4 weeks in my experience to get down to about 1.020, then they need about 3 days to a week at room temperature to get down to the final gravity.

Next time make a larger starter, then allow fermentation to take place over 3-4 weeks before racking.

It took me 4 lagers to get a good one.

It sounds like you racked just as fermentation was about to get in full swing. It probably took a little longer to get going because of your yeast pitch rate. It should pick back up again. I would recommend devising a way to reduce break material in your fermenter initially, so that you don't have to rack until later.

Lager fermentations are different than ales. My lagers (OG usually 1.045-1.055) usually get racked after two weeks in primary... this two week period includes lag time, complete primary fermentation (w/ diacetyl rest), and a couple days of cooling back down slowly (after D-rest, I try to at least get back down to 50°F before racking).

Ales and lagers are totally different animals, and need more time. That "trub" wasn't trub at all it was the krauzen from the yeast, lager yeast is bottom fermenting....so what you racked off was the yeast you needed for fermentation.

I would pitch more lager yeast and walk away for another 3 weeks.

When I lager I ferment for a month, then warm for a d-rest, then lager it for a month minimum.

BTW, 5 days is not enough time for ANY beer, ales or lagers....there is lag time in yeast as it needs to get up to speed, and that could even be as long as 3 days, so if you rack based on some arbitrary number, you could actually end up with only a couple days of actual fermentation, and then *zip* your taking the ale off the yeast too early.

In Mr Wizard's column in BYO awhile back he made an interesting analogy about brewing and baking....He said that egg timers are all well and good in the baking process but they only provide a "rule of thumb" as to when something is ready...recipes, oven types, heck even atmospheric conditions, STILL have more bearing on when a cake is ready than the time it says it will be done in the cook book. You STILL have to stick a toothpick in the center and pull it out to see if truly the cake is ready.....otherwise you may end up with a raw cake....

Not too different from our beers....We can have a rough idea when our beer is ready (or use something silly like the 1-2-3 rule (which doesn't factor in things like yeast lag time or even ambient temp during fermentation) and do things to our beer willy nilly....but unless we actually stick "our toothpick" (the hydrometer) in and let it tell us when the yeasties are finished...we too can "f" our beer up.

We forget this simple fact...We are not making koolaid, or chocolate quick, just stirring in and having instant gratification...when you pitch yeast, you are dealing with living micro-organisms...and they have their own timetable, and their own agenda. No recipe can really tell you when a beer is really done.

You really should base your movement on hydrometer readings, OR like many of us just leave your beer alone for 3-4 weeks, to give it plenty of time for the yeast to finish its' job and to allow the yeast to clean up after itself.

Even John Palmer advocates waiting;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring. And, three weeks in the primary fermentor is usually not enough time for off-flavors to occur.

It's no different than our non kit recipes, a beer is a beer, and as you might have read, many of us subscribe to the idea of not rushing our beers off the yeast for at least 3-4 weeks, and find out beers greately improved by doing so. It allows the yeast to clean up any byproducts they created during fermentation, which if rushed away from this process too soon, may lead to off flavors.

Brewing is really a patience game, we're not making koolaid, nor are we in charge of the process, the yeast are...and they have their own timeframe and agenda.

:mug:

You sound like you underpitched with a 1L starter, even with the other pack of yeast.

You also, as stated above, racked off the yeast, so that isnt going to help.

I pitched my last 2 lagers with 400Billion cells and had fermentation in 16 hours and it fermented really quite vigorously for 2 weeks in each.

Next time, use a larger starter or more yeast, also, just leave it on the tub and yeast for 3 weeks.

Drat... Well, I guess I'll get another starter going for the lager.

The krausen has usually fallen on my ales after 5-6 days, and they're usually within 10 points of final gravity after that time. I really need a better way to control temp - right now it's just in a couple closets so temps are probably 70-72 given the air temp of 66-68 inside.

Drat... Well, I guess I'll get another starter going for the lager.

The krausen has usually fallen on my ales after 5-6 days, and they're usually within 10 points of final gravity after that time. I really need a better way to control temp - right now it's just in a couple closets so temps are probably 70-72 given the air temp of 66-68 inside.

If your ales are within 10pts of final gravity... heck if they have not been at final gravity for at least a week, you should not be touching it.

Latest posts

Back