looking at a camper tommorrow.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dammit... You got a good head on your shoulders!:mug: You just ended a good thread. JK. But seriously that is a great idea, borrow some other trailers and see what you like and don't like. I agree with you though, it sucks to have to make a monthly payment for a Travel trailer, so save up and get a deal on a used one. We bought a used '99 Travel trailer cash. Everytime we camp in it, swmbo points out the lush ones with slides, then I remind her ours is paid off and is comfortable enough for our 2 little ones. Now when they get older and want to bring friends, well then maybe we'll upgrade.

I do suggest you do the camping/rv stuff with the kids. They will love you for it and always remember it. It brings the family unit back to basics.

Yeah I'm over monthly payments. If we can't afford to pay cash, we can't afford to own it. Especially a complete luxury item like a camper.
I love camping and wish I would have gotten to do more more as a kid. not to mention with the way a kids world it today, you need to remind them about trees and dirt and fire. It's not all about buttons and wireless signals.
My dream would be to have a pop up and truck bed that holds 3 dirtbikes. Oh and SWMBO willing to get on one and ride with us ;)

The funny part about pop-ups is how freaked my wife is by them. She is convinced that during the nightly slumber someone will sneak up, slice the canvas and steal your children. Hence why I must now find something that's metal and has a locking door. :drunk:

Why then you would want to barricade yourself in among all the woodland kidnappers is beyond me, I would think if its that dangerous we should just stay home! :cross:

Unfortunately you can't just laugh that off, but at least where we camp it is highly unlikely and is usually in large groups with lots of dogs.

Just remember, at night in a pop up and a light source inside the camper you make shadow puppet figures on the canvas that everyone outside can see.

Especially when you do "THAT" inside the camper. ;)

It's always great fun for the people still around the campfire outside or at a neighboring site.

*chuckle*

Just remember, at night in a pop up and a light source inside the camper you make shadow puppet figures on the canvas that everyone outside can see.

It's always great fun for the people still around the campfire outside or at a neighboring site.

*chuckle*

Even worse if you're alone in the camper. :eek:

*chuckle*

GOOD TIP!! I wouldn't have thought of this. unfortunately it probably wouldn't have been a problem anyway! :mad:

If we go to a traditional campsite we usually try to hook up with friends and go camping together. Large groups camping attracted like minded campers, ie drunk... :)

We had maybe 15 folks around a campfire and one couple we met at the campground decided to head in for the night. With their dog.

If you remember the Austin Powers 2 canvas tent shadow puppet scene, add a German Shepard shadow to that and you can imagine what type of show we had.

I still laugh thinking about it.

camping is sorta like Homebrewing you start out small and before ya know it you have a 30 ft trailer . We started with tents moved to a pop up then bought a little 19 ft Shasta TT. This is our currant rig but the plan is to buy a 5th wheel toy hauler . I have a friend that owns a camper dealership in N Carolina he goes to the repo auctions. When he finds a good deal I told him to pick on up for me

And ALWAYS get a Tow vehicle that exceeds your TT fully loaded . 3500 Dodge with Cummins Turbo diesel. My next mod to this truck is 19 inch wheels this way I can use all of the rear axles potential

trailer.jpg

The more I have been researching the more I want a large TTl. It sucks because it means I have to buy not only a trailer but also a new vehicle, one that no doubt will get horrible gas mileage. And SUV with 3rd seating that can pull a large TT any ideas? I like trucks as much as the next guy but I have 3 kids so if we want to take people I need more seating.

I guess I could wait for my dad to get a new Yukon, he has the towing pack and largest engine for his huge boat. I use to own a V8 Durango but it actually had a crappy engine in it.

Well I pull mine with a Suburban 1500, they also make them in 2500. Put LT tires on it and a transmission cooler, and stay withing towing limits with a weight dist hitch.

the Yukon would be a good choice as would a GMC or Ford 3500 van with the large engine I towed the trailer I pictured with a 12 passenger Savana van. It was great as the 3 kids had their own bench seat and no more "he's touching me"

camping is sorta like Homebrewing you start out small and before ya know it you have a 30 ft trailer .

Maybe for you, but not for me. My pop-up is more than enough. In fact, I've taken to going camping on my motorcycle a couple times a summer, too. Strap the pup tent, sleeping bags, etc. on the back and go!

BTW next weekend is the first camping trip of the year of the boys and I. I gotta get the pop-up ready this weekend!

Maybe for you, but not for me. My pop-up is more than enough. In fact, I've taken to going camping on my motorcycle a couple times a summer, too. Strap the pup tent, sleeping bags, etc. on the back and go!

BTW next weekend is the first camping trip of the year of the boys and I. I gotta get the pop-up ready this weekend!

I do the same with the bikes . But everyone that I know that started with a pop up or small TT have upgraded to larger TT or motorhomes . Its really hard to do the Pop up when the kids start hitting their teens. We bought ours because it has a private master bedroom .

Well, We did it. WE brought home a pop up last night. Found a 93 Starcraft for on craigslist for $1500. Guy was leaving town soon so we got it for $1000. Everything is super clean and in great shape (it's still a '93, but great shape considering). No heat or air, but does have a top window vent. We're very excited to use it June 13th for a music festival for the first time. Needs a couple minor things such as needs new propane hose on outside, clips that hold the door up when folding it up (has regular phillips head screws in it now), Shelf paper inside cabinets, little minor stuff like that. Has a detachable 2 burner stove and Ice box which we probably won't use and will most likely replace with another cabinet. First "major" purchase will be and air conditioner unit of some kind for it. Getting the hitch on the TV tomorrow.

I'll post pics tonight probably. I think we're gonna open it up so Wifey can start cleaning while I redo a step on the house.

How'd the campin' trip go?

Congrats on the camper. I would recommend that you repack the wheel bearings before you use it . Who knows how long its been since it was done last if it ever was. Check the tires while you are doing the bearings I had 2 on my trailer that were dry rot cracking on the inside couldn't see it until the tire was of outside sidewall looked fine I could see the sidewall ply's, scary crap if one blows out at 60 mph .Also if you don't have one get a spare nothing like sitting on the side of the road on a holiday weekend and no tire stores open till Tuesday

Thanks for the tip, Been reading up today some more and Repacking the wheel bearings on my my list of to do when I get home. Tires are good and I do have a full size spare (8") :D If I get left without one I could always replace it with a cracker. These things are ridiculous. I plan on pikcing up a grease gun and greasing the lift assembly as well. Then It's up to SWMBO to get it sparkling :D

I have a few boxes of snap together laminate hardwood downstairs left over from redoing the basement. Thinking of replacing the floors. Saw the same camper as ours on craigs list where the guy did this and really classed it up. This thing is gonna be a money with all the project I have in mind. They seem small and cheap since they're small scale... OH Noes!

Congrats dude. I have to start another thread this weekend with the fixes I have done to mine.No need to further hijack your huge score!

Get the pictures posted already!

Congrats on the camper! You don't need to get rid of the ice box. Just use it for dry food storage. I've got friends that have an ice box and that's what they use theirs for. That'll clear up space in your other cabinets for other stuff.

Please give us pictures, especially if your going to redo some of it. Would be nice to see your work!

No pictures last night. Got it setup though. Took about an hour :(
Would have been about 25-35 minutes but I had some problems getting the door to align and come down completely. Finally got it.
I don't think i had the camper perfectly level/even and thats what caused my problems. It was in my gravel driveway.
It was awesome to get it opened up and all the screens unzipped. Not a solid wall in this thing. It seemed so big and open once we did that. Wifey will get some time today to clean it out more since it took so long to open it last night after I got home from work. We left it open over night and today to air out.
I have some yard work to do this weekend before a Memorial day cookout at our house. So the camper maintenance will be on hold until next week. We're not using it until the 13th. I'm really looking forward to using it the first time and find out what we want to do with it and making some small changes/refinishing some things, to bring it back to top shape. I'll try and get pictures today and posted tonight. I definitely want to have some before pictures on hand.

Congrats dude. I have to start another thread this weekend with the fixes I have done to mine.No need to further hijack your huge score!

Get the pictures posted already!
Feel free to Hijack and post pics here. It'll be easier to keep all camper stuff organized plus make it easier for me to reference your fixes :D

Congrats on the camper! You don't need to get rid of the ice box. Just use it for dry food storage. I've got friends that have an ice box and that's what they use theirs for. That'll clear up space in your other cabinets for other stuff.
Good tip. I think we've decided to just use Coolers and not worry anout a fridge anyway.

Tip#1:
If you do use a fridge, turn it on days before your trip. Then load her up with frozen or cold stuff. Sodas, beer, juices can stay in an ice chest to save room. Really just perishables in the fridge.

Tip#2:
For extended stays , pre-portion meats and stuff into zip lock bags. It saves on mess and having to cut meats and poultry. Freeze them. It keeps the mess in the fridge to a minimum.

Tip #3:
Make sure you have plenty of tools and supplies. Duct Tape, worm clamps, zip ties, electrical tape, entension cords, rope.

Tip #5:
Never leave an awning unattended. NEVER. Every camping outing we have ever been too, I have seen one fly away.

Another space-saving idea: Does your camper have a sink? Are you going to use it? I never use my sink (I do the dishes outside) so I disconnected the drain hose from underneath to make more room for dishes.

Oh and visit your local Goodwill or St. Vinnie's for dishes, silverware, etc. It's a cheap way to outfit your camper.

We setup our travel trailer by shopping at the dollar store and garage sales. Paper plates for most meals allows you some fire starters as well. :)

Congrats on the popup purchase! One of the best things you can do with your kid(s). I always loved going camping with my folks.

Another space-saving idea: Does your camper have a sink? Are you going to use it? I never use my sink (I do the dishes outside) so I disconnected the drain hose from underneath to make more room for dishes.
Good idea. We'll probably see how much we use the sink. We probably won't, and will do as you mentioned here. Add a small box/cabinet in it's place that's removable/ foldaway.

We setup our travel trailer by shopping at the dollar store and garage sales. Paper plates for most meals allows you some fire starters as well. :)

Congrats on the popup purchase! One of the best things you can do with your kid(s). I always loved going camping with my folks.

We already have dishes and silverware from our college days. Goodwill and stores like that are a great source for silverware. But having a wedding is an even better one :D.

We folded it down cause rain was coming and I didn't take any pictures. i know I'm lame.

Yep pretty lame indeed, still waiting. You put it down because of rain? Can't it be out in the rain, or did you just have it up in your driveway or something.

Well, to continue with my hijackery, her is the story of what has been going on with my popup. When I went to look at the camper, I knew there was water damage in the front storage compartment, I looked around online and learned this was fairly common in the this line of campers. There was also a good assortment of repair photos, so I knew it was doable, but a fairly lengthy undertaking.

After buying and bringing home the camper I got started. Here is the storage compartment rotten and gnarley, only if you could smell the funk:

DSCF0026.JPG

A few more:

DSCF0028.JPG

DSCF0033.JPG

So I had to rip out the old, make new panels out of high grade plywood, prime, paint, and install.

I went with the best hardwood plywood I could find, and used solid wood where appropriate. The original construction was made of dense cardboard and super cheap particle board; niether held up well to years of leaking rain water. I made the new panels, and applied two coats of oil based primer, then two coats of 30 year exterior latex paint.

And here it is as it stands today, after 3 days of pretty good rain:

DSCF0047.JPG

DSCF0048.JPG

DSCF0049.JPG

The source of the leak was two cracks in the section of plastic between the main body and the lid of the storage section. I sealed with vinyl siding caulk since that appeared to have more play than a fiberglass solution. Not a drop of water in the compartment at all. I am happy with the job I did. There is still a little work to be done, but I know this is much better than it was the day it was bought.

Aside from the storage compartment work, the only thing I have had to do is get new tires. I have checked every major system but the water and water heater, they have all worked perfectly. I plan to de-winterize this week or weekend (if it stops raining), then I can test all systems.

Ok, so that is why you guys ragged me for trying to max out my towing capacity.... I get it now... lol

Back