repitching slurry/ washing yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
I have an AHS Honey Wheat Ale that will be in the primary for 2 and a half weeks on Sunday. I want to bottle it and pitch that yeast into a simple Hefe I'm going to brew the same day. After I rack the Wheat out of the primary, this is what I was going to do.

1) Add a quart or so of boiled and cooled water to the primary, swirl/ shake and dump it all into something clear so that I can see what's going on.

2)Let stand for 30 minutes or so.

3)Decant and pitch decanted liquid (this stuff has the yeast right?) into fresh batch of wort.

Is this what pitching slurry is?
Would I be WAAAY over pitching? (both are 5 gallon batches)
Would I be better off to wash it properly like the sticky says to do, make a starter and wait to brew for a week or so?

TIA!

If you are sure your fermenter has no contamination you could just rack the beer you brew right in on top of the yeast cake that is left from beer you racked out of the fermenter. I have done this before for similar beers. Use a blow off tube though....it is going to go nuts

If you are sure your fermenter has no contamination you could just rack the beer you brew right in on top of the yeast cake that is left from beer you racked out of the fermenter. I have done this before for similar beers. Use a blow off tube though....it is going to go nuts

I am concerned that they are similar recipes, but not exactly the same. And I'm new enough at this that I am still crazy paranoid about sanitation.

This is advice I use...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/quick-question-reusing-yeast-cake-95090/#post1033224
Bob is a reputable poster, you can trust this.

Interesting....... I may try this. Thanks!

This practice is just plain lazy and is massively overpitching. Can it make good beer? Yes. Will it make the best beer possible? No.

If you are going to bottom harvest, best practice is to wash and pitch the proper amount. At the very least you should consult Mr. Malty, use the slurry tab, and find out how many ml of slurry to pitch. The defaults are pretty good if you do not add water. If you do, it will be a thin slurry at best. If bottling/racking and brewing on the same day, sanitize a spoon and scoop out the proper amount of the cake (a small pyrex measuring cup works great) and cover with sanitized foil until ready to pitch. Wash the remainder of the cake if you like.

I still use a blowoff tube :mug:

The only time I pitched onto an entire cake (before I learned better), I ended up with undesirable fusel alcohols that took some time to mellow. It was good, it was not the best I coulda made.

Back