Birmingham, AL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBeerNerd

Reaction score
Is there anyone here who lives in the Birmingham area?

I'm relocating there at the end of the month. I'm still kind of a noob, but would love to meet other brewers in the area. I've looked into the LHBS's website and it seems like it's a good one. I'll probably be dragging along 3 or 4 cases of my brews (considering I'm taking a small car, this should be interesting!)

Best place to learn about the beer culture in Alabama is probably the Free the Hops website. It's a group aimed at revising AL law regarding beer. Last year we got passed the Gourmet Beer Bill which allows sale of high alcohol beers (previously 6.0% abv was the limit). Look for Danner on the site -- he's from B'ham, is an active homebrewer & is active in Free the Hops.

I live in the city limits of Birmingham. Is that close enough?

Kim from Alabrew has been holding meetings at his shop for probably the last 15 years. I was in the Birmingham Brewmasters with him back around 94 but quit after a year or so.

Try emailing him at: [email protected].

There are two local clubs that I know of: the Alabrew club referenced above and another called the Carboy Junkies. I haven't been to either group so I can't speak for them. Alabrew is a good LHBS. J Clyde is the local beer bar.

Let me know if there is anything else you wanna know.

There's a great late-night dive bar in Birmingham called "marty's." Best damn pickle I've ever had.

B

Just checked out their website. Lots of Jazz & Bluegrass. Looks like my kinda place!

Posting from a hotel in Oklahoma City on my way to Birmingham :mug:

It was this week you were coming? We're still working on finding a mayor and such, right now is really not a good time.

Well, I'm here. Staying at Motel 6 in Homewood until I get settled into a place. Going to meet potential new roommates (who are excited to try homebrew) tonight at On Tap. Looks from their website the place has a good beer selection. Gonna make a trip over to the LHBS today too.
All I could manage to bring with me was my fermenting buckets and whatever fit in them. Does anyone have spare AG equipment they'd be willing to sell cheap?

You make is it sound like you're on the run or in the witness protection program.

I don't have any equipment I'm ready to part with but I did check into the brew meetings at Alabrew. The Birmingham Brewmasters still meet there once a month and is $35 to officially join. I say officially but it sounded like if you bring beer you're in the door, you come empty handed be sure your dues are paid up. Figured I might just drop a couple bottles off to get some feedback.

LOL, on the run from unemployment I guess. Lack of equipment was due to moving 1200 miles in a Hyundai. Heard Bass Pro Shops is selling burners for dirt cheap after thanksgiving. Might make a stop over there and see for myself.
Thanks for the info on the club.

3 words

barber motorsports park

i could have went there about a month ago, but my daughter decided to be born a bit early.

Well, due to my friend's (closest thing I have to a SWMBO) family being comprised of a few Auburn Alumni, I already have my team. Watched the iron bowl with them down in Eufaula.

Stopped by Alabrew yesterday and the woman there seemed really nice. She invited me to sit in on the meeting tonight, which I just might do. Is anyone else from here going?

If I didn't have my six year old I would. She actually loves going to Alabrew, they have a basket of toys and the favorite was a pair of binoculars.

SunAe will usually hook her up, she sent her home with a Homer bottle opener one day.

Well, I managed to rent a tiny little studio in the 5 points area... looking like I might have to stick to doing extract brews for a while.

I used to travel from strange city to strange city doing field work. This meant eventually I would visit severaa hot spots. You rapidly learn if your residence and office is in a safe area. I would get a city/county map and pull over a cop and tell him I was new in town and would he circle the hot spots in town. 95% were helpful. Then I would wear out google.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0921299.html

Back