Buying wire. Input appreciated!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awarner322

Reaction score
Hey guys....gathering supplies to get my electrical supply run from my breaker box in basement.... to the back of the basement (estimating about 60 ft of wire). I want to use 6 gauge/4 wire to the 50 amp plug.

The question is....where should I go about buying the wire? Haven't been to Home Depot or a big box store yet...will they have what I need? Or is there somewhere to order online?

Thanks!

The big box stores will have the wire and should be as cheap as online with shipping figured in. 60 ft of 6/4 would be pretty heavy and you can make sure you have exactly what you want in person.

Hey guys....gathering supplies to get my electrical supply run from my breaker box in basement.... to the back of the basement (estimating about 60 ft of wire). I want to use 6 gauge/4 wire to the 50 amp plug.

The question is....where should I go about buying the wire? Haven't been to Home Depot or a big box store yet...will they have what I need? Or is there somewhere to order online?

Thanks!

Look at some local electrical supply stores too, they have good prices as well as experience in local codes and how to properly install it.

I just checked on 6 awg 2 weeks ago at a supply house it was 41 cents a foot.

single conductor? he is is looking for 6/4, if you are talking about 6/4 share a link please :)

Yes single conductor sorry. Was thinking 4 runs in conduit. I did buy some 6/4 SO at yw same time if I remember right it was 1.59 per ft

I buy all my wire from a contractor who has leftovers from big industrial jobs. He sells it to me at about half the store prices, receipt and all - straight up legit.

Better off with an electrical supply store rather than Big Box, my local supplier was about 25% less than HD. Doesn't hurt to look.

Just to make sure before I buy a bunch of what I don't need. I have this wire as a pigtail coming out of my panel. I plan to attach a 50amp plug on it.

I am going to bring a 50amp GFI breaker straight out of my box and wire it to a 4 prong receptacle using this wire: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-6-3-NM-Wire-Black-By-the-ft-63950099/204632777?quantity=1

Seem okay?

IMG_20150319_205932_825.jpg

20131217_184753.jpg

As was mentioned, there are some good deals on cut wire that contractors have leftover from jobs.

Double check your measurements between your breaker panel and control panel and add a couple feet on each end.

Also, ACE hardware seems to be a bit cheaper (10g single conductor at HD was .50 a foot, at ACE it was .25...which i saw after i already bought some... hah)

Back