TBones first brew... and I have some questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leisure Master

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals...

So first of all... thanks for the advice everyone gave me on how to make my starter and get my liquid yeast back up to snuff. Now that I've got that taken care of I think I'm going to brew up my first batch either today or tommorow. And I got a question or two...

I'm going to be making a recipe from Charlie Papazians book, called Rocky Raccoons Crystal Honey Lager. It seems like a pretty straightforward recipe which is why I chose it.

But heres the problem... the recipe calls for 56 grams of Cascade hops. When I ordered my hops from my hombrew supply store in Korea... they sent me one package of cascade hops (28g)... but then the other pack is Hallertauer hops!

So can I just mix and match, or will my brew taste funky with the addition of hops that were not meant for the recipe.

Any advice is welcome guys!

Thanks,

T

:mug:

Use what they sent you. Halletau is a great, very clean hop and will work very well with that lager recipe.

I might tend to use the halletau as the bittering hop (used for the longer boil) and the cascade as your flavor/aroma hop (shorter boil time). That, of course, if the recipe calls for adding hops at different times during the boil.

Otherwise, don't worry. 99% of great beer recipes call for mixing hops.

Back